Difference between Dietz 7-40 tags

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@Mars Light
The 240 had the name tag on the base, the 7-40, after the model number change in 1970, had the name tag on the bezel and in 1980 when the light got some changes they started to stamp the bezel with model number and SAE number instead.

There are some lights with both name tag and stamping which I suspect is only a manufacturing glich in the transition time between the two versions around 1970.

In 1980 the light got some changes like 7400 sealed beams instead of the 4416 as previous and the blue lens become darker than before, that was a very light blue colour, to a colour more like other manufacturers colours.

Michael

Reactions: stansdds

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@Mars Light
No, this is the version from after the number change in 1970 with 4416 sealed beams and the lighter blue lens.

The SAE approval says that this light follows the SAE regulation valid for 1970.

The serial says that the name tag was stamped in February 1972.

Please note that the 15 is not a date because it is always 15 in all serial numbers, it is only month and year.

You will also have a manufacturing date on the motor from around that time.

Michael

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
Yes, there is a "71" marked on the motor.
Couldn't believe that the beacon is really this age.

Can you please give us an overview for the decoding if the serial numbers of Dietz beacon.
According to the Beacon Ray series.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Yes, those beacons were built to last and it is not uncommon to find fully functional beacons that were made in the 1950's and 60's.

There is no real science to decoding the Dietz tags. The first two digits are the month, 01 through 12. The second two digits are 15, don't know why, maybe someone just liked the number 15. The third pair of digits are the last two digits in the year of manufacture. So yours is 02-15-72, which translates to February, 1972. You said the motor in yours is 1971 and it is not uncommon to find the motor being 1 or 2 or even 3 months older than the beacon.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@Mars Light
The old model number was 240 and the new, 7-40.

Regarding the serial numbers, I do not know how Dietz did with these but I suspect that they made them in batches and use them up without any control of the actual dates.

I have a 7-41 that I bought from Dietz in 1975 and the motor has the date 1974 and the name tag on the bezel are dated 1973.

The 7-41 is the special version with a bottom plate for bar mounting.

The lenses, 234 (old number) and 77-234 (new number) was available in red, blue, amber and clear.

Also a split coloured red and amber lens was available where the red was spray painted on the inside of an amber lens.

Michael

Reactions: stansdds

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.