Dimming Feniex Cannon

nightwolf

Oct 26, 2011
US Northeast
So I failed to heed the warning you guys gave me and purchased some B/A cannons for the turn signal of my bike. The good news is the flange is almost exactly the same size as the blinker housing so with a little work it should look pretty clean.

The cannons are too bright to be used as turn signals, even with 6 leds on. What size resistor would you reccomend me using for mode 1 (steady-burn to be flashed by blinker relay). Another member here noted they used a 22 ohm resistor for parking light (very dim) and an 8 ohm resistor for their blinker (little noticeable decrease in brightness). I'm planning on going somewhere between the two, any ideas on a good number?

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
So I failed to heed the warning you guys gave me and purchased some B/A cannons for the turn signal of my bike. The good news is the flange is almost exactly the same size as the blinker housing so with a little work it should look pretty clean.

The cannons are too bright to be used as turn signals, even with 6 leds on. What size resistor would you reccomend me using for mode 1 (steady-burn to be flashed by blinker relay). Another member here noted they used a 22 ohm resistor for parking light (very dim) and an 8 ohm resistor for their blinker (little noticeable decrease in brightness). I'm planning on going somewhere between the two, any ideas on a good number?
I think I may actually have set it up with the 22 and 8 ohms in series for a total of 30 ohms. I can't remember for sure. There are alternate ways of doing things using voltage dividing circuits etc. but I'm too far out of electronics class to remember how to do any of that...I just kept trying things until it looked good.

nightwolf

Oct 26, 2011
US Northeast
Didn't know you guys had your own sub-forum here. Copying this over from the lighting section. I purchased two B/A 3-mode cannons to use on my motorcycle. Amber turn signals on mode one and Amber/blue warning on mode two. I'm looking for a way to dim mode 1 and found people selling feniex branded resistors. The resistor would just get wired right in line with mode one power input? And ill-effects? What ohm resistor should I use for a bright but not blinding cannon (head on,not in a housing)?

On a side note, can the t3 sync with two cannons? Looking to match the two cannons blue strobe then Amber strobe and have a t3 flash blue when cannons flash Amber.

Thanks in advance!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Didn't know you guys had your own sub-forum here. Copying this over from the lighting section. I purchased two B/A 3-mode cannons to use on my motorcycle. Amber turn signals on mode one and Amber/blue warning on mode two. I'm looking for a way to dim mode 1 and found people selling feniex branded resistors. The resistor would just get wired right in line with mode one power input? And ill-effects? What ohm resistor should I use for a bright but not blinding cannon (head on,not in a housing)?

On a side note, can the t3 sync with two cannons? Looking to match the two cannons blue strobe then Amber strobe and have a t3 flash blue when cannons flash Amber.

Thanks in advance!
We use 3 watt 75 ohm resistors to dim for tail light or parking light functions.   Can probably work your way down from there to let it be brighter.  Feniex doesn't make a resistor so I'm not sure who has a Feniex Branded resistor. We sell them on our site as resistors for the cannon t6 tir6 etc. 

The t3 only syncs with the cannon on one or two patterns. 

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
i didnt realize you posted two threads on the same subject. Maybe the mods can merge these.. I use 3 watt 75 ohm. 

Reactions: Nathan R

nightwolf

Oct 26, 2011
US Northeast
Thanks FEVER. Didn't know if it was directly from feniex, thanks for clarification. Do you mind giving me a quick lesson? For the resistor, you use a 3w one because that is the the power of the lightheaded? So in stepping down, the wattage should stay the same. In theory would a 37 ohm resistor allow the light to be twice as bright as a 75?

nightwolf

Oct 26, 2011
US Northeast
Also, I just came across a thread that states the 3-mode cannons can not be externally flashed. Do you foresee this being an issue when using a slow-rate electronic blinker flasher?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
It doesn't quite work that way. It might be best for you to buy an assortment and play with them to see which will meet your desired level. 

I have them on my turn signals and they work just fine (Besides the bulb out/fast flash thing)

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
One thread per topic. Please do not clutter up the forums with the same topic in multiple sections.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.