Displaying the toys

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
Hello all, just curious as to how some of you have your lightbars displayed? I've been looking at brackets and standards since I have several full size bars , I'm wanting put them on the walls in my garage, wife wont let me bring any inside !

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I 2nd the Sterling/Knape Vogt dual track shelving, plus they are very adjustable. Just make sure they are drilled into a stud properly and not just sheetrock. I was not able to drill into my wall so I built a 2x4 backer with feet to secure the shelving to. If you go with a standard shelf (like the plastic utility shelves) you will have 2 pillars blocking in front of lightbars. If you are just displaying beacons and dash lights, bookshelves and plastic shelves work great.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
What is a solid bench power supply or other option for powering them?
I have one for both my work room and outdoor work shed. Awesome units and has built-in reverse polarity protection.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
First, put up a new building that the city insists must be smaller than you wish and covered in whatever your house is; in this case, metal covered in sandstone.

Closet Maid from Lowes is what I use. The white finish does not stand out against a white wall, and the parts come in various sizes and lengths. Here they are mounted with 2 inch 5/16 self tapping exterior screws. It might be more expensive, but only once, and if you count 5 empty slots between shelf brackets, well, that's an AD's height. Plenty strong if the mounting foundation is good.

I do have some John Sterling, but they visually stand out and are not as finished. I use those for containers and such. First, the brackets are taller, and second, the bottom of the brackets are where the ends of the stamped out metal is ... in other words, lift a 40 pound lightbar up into place, go to high, and scratch the dome on the shelf bracket above.

A floating bookshelf works, too. Metal; small magnet mount beacons stick (too) well to it. It has a base, but I imagine it could also be mounted to a wall.

Other things:
Bulk candy racks with custom aluminum shelves and/or Grainger shelves for some other product of theirs.
VHS Tape cabinet ... 8 drawers of about 5 inches deep make for great parts and lens storage.
Old hardware store displays from DeWalt. They roll around, too, carefully, like the other things above.
This building is fairly sealed up, but I can still move everything easily to clean, so think wheels or felt pads for things on the floor.

Attachments

• 20210915_113415.jpg
    20210915_113415.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 58

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
OMG if he turned all of those on at once the Universe would get out of the way to let him pass!!!! And the power company would be mad and happy at the same time when a small country goes dark!

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
@TDC.....bra - fricking - vo. For someone to erect an ENTIRE building for lights is absolutely, positively, and truly committed to the hobby. Epic.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
OMG if he turned all of those on at once the Universe would get out of the way to let him pass!!!! And the power company would be mad and happy at the same time when a small country goes dark!
Might be something like this.

Reactions: firebuff17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.