DIY arrow board?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
So, I've been tasked with re-wiring an old arrow board trailer that my FD has had lying around for a while.
I'm not sure if we have the original controller to the board. It sounds like we don't. Would a schematic like the attached work if I have to home-brew something? Can anyone recommend an adjustable-speed flasher?
arrow board schematic.JPG

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
In addition to the diodes just beyond the rotary switch, you will probably need to install some additional diodes to control the flow of current where you have lightheads connected to more than one power wire. As drawn, every light on the arrow board would flash regardless of the position of your rotary switch.

The flash rate for an arrow board is specified in Chapter 6F of the MUTCD, as follows:

Standard 15:
The minimum element on-time shall be 50 percent for the flashing mode, with equal intervals of 25 percent for each sequential phase. The flashing rate shall be not less than 25 or more than 40 flashes per minute.

It appears you'll be using your arrow board in "Flashing Arrow" mode, as opposed to "Sequential Arrow" mode or "Sequential Chevron" mode. As such, the part about sequential phase from the above does not apply.

When selecting a suitable flasher, make certain that it is capable of dimming to half intensity for operation at night:

Standard 11:
Arrow board elements shall be capable of at least a 50 percent dimming from full brilliance. The dimmed mode shall be used for nighttime operation of arrow boards.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Ah crap. I should have figured there was a federal standard governing these things.

It sounds like what I need to find is the controller box. With the night time dimming requirement, this is getting a bit tricky to home-brew.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I have Federal Signal arrow controllers for cheap that might work. How many watts are the lamps, and can they be wired for negative switching?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
I haven't spec'd out the lights for the board yet. They'll be drop-in LED replacement units for the incandescent bulbs in there now. Your FedSig controller might work? Can you PM me with more info? I don't see why I couldn't switch on the negative side.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
@MtnMan He stated it was an arrowboard trailer...

Smaller-AT154896WT-e1352315801115.gif

im sure what ever agency "owns" i, itt has to have it to "some standard" cause its the gubment and all that

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.