Do you own a Sireno ?

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Looking for some help. I am working on a history and timeline for Sireno, their mechanical sirens in particular. If you have a Sireno mechanical siren I would love to have the model, type, description and especially serial number.

Examples
Sireno Jr. SN 4890, 16 ports, long projector Or 7" projector.
Sireno M1, SN 24686, 8 port, 5" projector or grill only.

Photo's always appreciated. Also appreciate any knowledge of the history you want to share.

Thanks in advance.

NESQ115

Jan 21, 2012
New York
I have a Sireno M S (12 volt), SN 76178, 8 port, grill only (the unit is missing the mounting base). I also have an R5R (front & rear red lights; 12 volt) with the weatherguard. It had no badge when I acquired it, so I don't have its serial number.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I have a Sireno M S (12 volt), SN 76178,

OK, I think I found yours. I found a picture on here you posted previously. Yours is missing he base, which would have provide our answer. I believe yours is a M1-S, designed for Marine use on boats. It would have had a swivel base and would have been either black enamel or had a heavy Nickle plating if it had not been removed. Those swivel bases are very rare and I have only seen one in drawings.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I don't think anyone has put together a true timeline of history of SirenO, they are usually overlooked. I am a huge fan and most people don't realize they invented the automotive siren. They were first and lasted from 1907 to about 1980. I will definitely be sharing the info when I get it done. I found a cache of Sireno pictures with serial numbers and am working my way through them now.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
They were first and lasted from 1907 to about 1980.
Sireno lasted longer than 1980.

The dates I have found for Sireno is:
Name first used:
August 1907
Trademark filed:
March 6, 1908
Trademark approved:
August 11, 1908
Third renewal of trademark:
August 11, 1968
Trademark expired:
November 3, 1992

Other style of word Sireno:
Trademark filed:
July 30, 1947
Trademark registered:
January 18, 1949
Trademark first renewal:
January 18, 1969

In about 1971/72 ITT Jabsco Products bought Sireno and in around 1982/1984 Sirchie Fingerprints bought Sireno the last time.

Exactly when Sirchie stopped manufacturing Sireno products I have not found out yet but it must have been before 1992 when the trademark expired.

The trademark should have been renewed in August 11,1988 but newer did so Sireno was probably closed down already.

Michael

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Sireno Michael

Thanks, I have the company history pretty much down. I am now narrowing down the serial numbers by date to actually date a particular siren. The more numbers I have the closer I can narrow down dates. I think I can now get within 5 years of manufacture with what I have found so far. Also working out the meaning of the particular model numbers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.