Dodge Durango SSV Feedback

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
My agency (Law Enforcement) has started discussing replacing our Ford PI Utility with the Dodge Durango SSV. With that in mind I'm seeking feedback from those who have used (recently) or are using the Durango SSV.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I personally hate them. I find them to be uncomfortable. I'm 6'1" and feel crammed in, seat uncomfortable, etc. I think they're sluggish when you stomp on it and the turning radius makes it hard to whip around on a two lane.

Reactions: Station 3

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
If it had no center console, a column shifter or at least a one or two o-clock positioned rotary knob and steel wheels I would have selected it over the PIU

ShadowSwipe

Mar 13, 2015
New Jersey
Is the Durango actually pursuit rated?

Upon researching.
"That said, like all SSVs, the Special Service package Durango is “not designed nor intended for high-speed emergency or pursuit ..."

Reactions: Station 3

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
I like the Tahoe's, buy they have priced themselves out of business except for specialty use such as K9.

Wow! I didn't realize that the 2018 Tahoe SSV starts at 45.2k. That's right around 50% more than the PIU. The Ford comes with a lot of standard upfitting features that are extra on the Tahoe like horn ring circuit prep also which saves money also .

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
Wow! I didn't realize that the 2018 Tahoe SSV starts at 45.2k. That's right around 50% more than the PIU. The Ford comes with a lot of standard upfitting features that are extra on the Tahoe like horn ring circuit prep also which saves money also .
When they switched body style 2 years or so ago they jumped almost 10k in one cycle on state bid, so Chevy lost a ton of Missouri business.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
IIRC the average contract base price for a Tahoe PPV/SSV is in vicinity of $33,000.
About 4 model years back the GM bean counters concluded they were mistakenly pricing the police Tahoes to compete with the Ford PIUs but were comparing apples to oranges because the Tahoes were body-on-frame trucks while the PIUs were unibody cross-overs, so they adjusted their base pricing up approx $6,000.

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
IIRC the average contract base price for a Tahoe PPV/SSV is in vicinity of $33,000.
About 4 model years back the GM bean counters concluded they were mistakenly pricing the police Tahoes to compete with the Ford PIUs but were comparing apples to oranges because the Tahoes were body-on-frame trucks while the PIUs were unibody cross-overs, so they adjusted their base pricing up approx $6,000.
I haven't seen numbers to prove it, but I know their Missouri sales tanked because of it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.