does the market really need another beacon?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
In the mean time can someone give me the winner of the 4 cannons? I am having a hard time deciding.  

Well, not to toot my own horn but, I did suggest laser pointers... Thats pretty badass and innovative B)

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
There are some pretty good ideas listed throughout this thread.  Since its a tough pick how about the top 2 ideas the Feniex staff like each get a pair?  Just my 2 cents. 

Reactions: strobecrazy

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Well, not to toot my own horn but, I did suggest laser pointers... Thats pretty badass and innovative B)

And illegal. :)

I had a 1500 lumen flashlight I used on tracks so perimeter units knew where we were going when they needed too

Different type of optics all together.  You would need dust or moisture in the air to make it more visible.  Smoke, if you were working an actual fire scene.  Not to mention the lookieloos would follow the light.  :no:

A 200 lbs magnet?  The light would break off of the magnet just trying to get it off.  :sadcry:

As for the beacon, why does it have to be vertical?  Why can't you make it a dome shape, kind of like looking at the profile of a drop of water on the counter.  The optics can be worked into this new shape and this way it would solve the problem of getting knocked off by branches as they would go up and over the light.

I personally like the vector lightheads with a controllable rotator.  Adds cost, but more versatile.

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
What about a clear domed beacon with color rotating, but the ability to be turned white and controlled like a go light.  Either by dial or by step buttons.

Reactions: robs.leds

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
What about a clear domed beacon with color rotating, but the ability to be turned white and controlled like a go light.  Either by dial or by step buttons.

uhhh that was my suggestion..... ;)

I say let the feneix staff pick, its a lil biased to have forum members to pick themselves as winners....

have them come up with what they think is "neatest" then either give top 2 a pair a piece or take their "finalists" and start a poll on the website here. (if that's still an option)

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
As far as I know, there are precisely two traditionally round beacons that are NFPA certified for fire apparatus rear warning, those being the Whelen L31 and Code 3 Arch. Anything else is just the end-section of a lightbar like the FedSig Escape or Whelen Freedom. Maybe Feniex could come up with some notable features and carpe that diem for a profit? Maybe use actual moving parts for a rotating beacon, but with takedown and alley lights for highway patrol, or just the same features as the Arch at a lower cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England

Lasers pointing up into the sky? If yes, that is illegal in the US...if it hit aircraft it is a federal felony...for example a medical helicopter arriving on scene.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I like a jogable scene light. The rest of the beacon can still flash while part of the beacon can be directed to light a hose bed, or locate a house number.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
-Battery operated

-Rechargeable via USB to cigg plug

-Low profile

-Dual color option

-Cruise mode

-2 modes or patterns

-120lb pull magnet

-On-off-on and momentary push buttons mounted on the light itself

-Advanced programming options or initial configuration done from phone App.

-joggable or directable scene function

-sub $250 price point

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Lasers pointing up into the sky? If yes, that is illegal in the US...if it hit aircraft it is a federal felony...for example a medical helicopter arriving on scene.

Laser pointers pointed outwards just like the beam of light would be from a rotator. What would the point be of them aimed up at nothing?

LANDJET

Apr 30, 2015
Boston USA
I didnt read everyone's response but i really thought beacons were kind of out, but in the same sentence i see them coming back and better and better or more requested. Never in a million years would i have thought a police agency on the east coast would start to adopt flash sequences like "standing lights" and steady burn modes on their units. Now Mass State Police have adopted those patterns and the bigger towing companies are looking for the lights that do the same. And then beacons! Our local fire departments are asking for the old style rotating beacons again as well as the next biggest buyers towing trucks.

We only sell Feniex lights ourselves but have been very attracted to another brands ideas of simulation and downright making a lightbar look like it has rotating lights as in the old beacons of years past.

Ive been blocked several times at sales because many local departments are looking for beacons on their apparatus now over the bars.

I wouldnt call this revolutionary, im sure if Feniex came out with a Beacon it would be superior to just about all.

I think a beacon / revolving LED is a good choice as an added light to the line up, with maybe some other options that might be fitting for such an idea.

Maybe make them link able and sync-able. Federal Signal back in the day had the lightbar that when all the lights hit in the front they were timed just right that they created a blink pattern front and rear that was very attractive. That was a bar, but 2 beacons could also be sync'd so they alternating flashed as well as one hit front while other hit back . Maybe create Beacons that can link and sync just like that. from 1 to 6 across can be linked and syn'd. creating their own flash patterns. Maybe they can be aimed and lock at a certain point to be used as in a steady burn mode. multiple speeds to give different patterns?

Another idea is a single tier light, so small like a pancake with one and stackable to 2 pancakes on top of each other that 1 can rotate clockwise while the other counter clockwise creating double sweeps from 2 different directions. 

We were thinking as well if they were built with the idea of a T3 being a module, you can get 1 in each light head or beacon, with the ability to upgrade to 2-3 or 4 T3's that can create multiple effects. Just like the old sealed beam lights. You could get them with one bulb, add a second one later, some Fire Depts added a 3rd and a fourth on their beacons creating all sorts of flash effects. Some were slow turners and others had a rapid sweep.  Using a module like the T3 and fitting it to a design like a pancake size i think would be some great options to be used. The Light can be used in more places than vehicles, like factories as the warning devices on doors, and fork lift routes. 

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Duo colour, wireless sync. So if you're at a scene with 2-3 trucks running these beacons, they all sync up on scene. Dunno if it's technically feasible, but it would be badass. And phone apps are all the rage these days, maybe if you could change the settings via an iPhone app. (Like having three trigger wires and being able to control from the app which each trigger wire does as far as colour/flash pattern/cruise etc)

Also a pattern similar to whelen's steady flash, since a low power steady light is all the rage at night now.

Reactions: Lightbarnut

Alex@Feniex

Nov 10, 2013
Austin, TX
-Battery operated

-Rechargeable via USB to cigg plug

-Low profile

-Dual color option

-Cruise mode

-2 modes or patterns

-120lb pull magnet

-On-off-on and momentary push buttons mounted on the light itself

-Advanced programming options or initial configuration done from phone App.

-joggable or directable scene function

-sub $250 price point

Thanks for the input all!  We had about 6 good points so we put those names in a jar and pulled out Storm4200.

Strom4200. Message me with your ship to address and the 4 colors you request. Thanks!

Reactions: Storm4200

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Congrats to Storm...

Alex, if you guys are looking for testers for the new beacon I'm available, lol.

Reactions: Storm4200

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Outstanding!

I would definitely be in the market for one of these beacons.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
same here

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Congrats Storm!!  Looking forward to seeing the development of these!  And of course using them...   :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Bmw is also doing things with lasers as highbeams.

Knight90

May 28, 2010
Texas
Alex, a simple solution would be to scale up a cannon 360 for a basic yet effective solution. The homework is already done for it. As far as new and innovative you would time to work on something to wow the market like you normally do. The scaled up 360 would allow for Feniex to be able to have a true NFPA package for fire apparatus. Cannon or Apollo lightbar, widelux perimeter lights, and 360 beacons would cover all the bases. Something like the 360 also would allow for scene lighting with the additional modes. My 2 cents........when is lunch? 

Reactions: robs.leds

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The only drawback to a wireless light is the temptation for theft if the light is left running on the roof of an unattended vehicle, as well as the higher risk of loss if struck by a tree branch or some other obstacle/hazard while in motion.
With a cord it's less tempting to steal and it's tethered to the vehicle if struck by an obstacle. An alternative could still be rechargeable but with a corded controller anchored inside the vehicle.

LLS

May 23, 2010
NYC
I know the contest is over, but if you had the ability to put a steady burn option on a dual color beacon that can be controlled with a controller.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
With led rgb technology. Why not make a light that has all colours built in and would be field selectable by the end user
I think it has to do with the cost since all the big name brands in the states use different diodes for each color for their "duo" & "trio" technologies (more diodes hence more $), since the true duo color diodes used by foreign products (axixtech, SNM, etc), while plenty bright and reliable for many ppl, don't meet their standards & output

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
All great points but the other big guys have already done similar things. Anything more "revolutionary"?

A rotabeam style LED colored beacon that looks just like a rotator. For this example let's use Amber as a primary color... Okay, So you have a nice bright rotating led beacon. The thing that makes this beacon special is it has a wireless remote control with left and a right arrow buttons and a spot button. When you press the spot button and enter spot mode, the amber immediately stops flashing and turns into a white LED spot light which the beam can be turned left or right with the wireless remote. Think of it as a visi-beam Spotlight beacon and traditional warning beacon all rolled into one. Perfect for those who need warning but once in a while need a spotlight function like a utility vehicle, snowplow, security car, even a POV firefighter who needs the white spot function while responding to light up a sign or mailbox. I personally love beacons and now that LEDs are so capable, this would be the perfect time to blow all the other manufacturers out of the water with this dual use beacon.

Reactions: Lightbarnut

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
suggested 2 times already....:D

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
If are going to do rotating patterns, please make the light so it pops like a true rotator and not just brightens up and fades away.

Reactions: FCV96

GtownFF

Jan 15, 2014
Wisconsin
I agree with everyone who has said wireless and rechargeable! It would be great if I am not in my own vehicle for whatever the reason may be. I think just having 2 switches (flash pattern and power on/off) would work fine. I read it on here but can't find who said it now, but I don't think that the beacon needs to be round anymore either, just having four cobra heads or apollo heads in a square is great. I know you have the mini bar but this would be for more of just a throw light onto a separate vehicle.
To add I love that Feniex takes time to ask us what we want.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
I know this is an older post, but did they create a beacon?

Might not be possible, but a volunteer / POV thought: A mag mount beacon with a speaker built in...that can connect to an app for sirens and light function. Could that even be done?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.