Does your Dept do a Citizen Police Academy?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
After a 5 year hiatus the dept here where i reside started doing them again. I applied last week for it and just got the call that i was accepted to attend.

We will have "classes" every tuesday night for 3 hours.

Items on the agenda are, mock homicide investigation, time on the range, ridealong, etc.

There will be "souvenoirs" upon completion. I'm looking forward to this immensely :D as it can be another "additive" to put on an app or resume for a real police job

So does your dept. do anything like this?

If so, what does it entail?

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
That sounds cool I wish my town did that, My town does a junior police academy for middle school aged kids which i did through out middle school. It was cool, it was from 9am to 3pm everyday for a week, They did it like a mini academy we did PT, learned to march, and learned the phonetic alphabet.

May 20, 2010
Hamilton, Ohio
Our agency used to put on a "Citizen's Police Academy", however due to recent budget limitations we have cancelled our last two. They entailed the classes meeting once a week for about 2 hours and were taught by myself along with other instructors. We touched on our departments operating procedures and discussed the various assignments at the sheriff's office and the procedures of each. The citizens also went on ride-a-longs and volunteered around the sheriff's office as well during the class. I will say most of the classes I taught the folks in class loved hearing "war stories". After completion of the academy we have a citizen's on patrol program where we put two academy graduates in a cruiser and they assist with traffic control at crashes, conduct vacation and extra patrols checks, etc.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Jasen Hatfield said:
After completion of the academy we have a citizen's on patrol program where .
Now i have the citizens on patrol song from police academy 4 stuck in my head.

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
The county wide crash investigators team I am on, participates in one of our member agencies citizen academy. Its set up more for the "community leaders", both political, social, and business wise. It helps, in that the people in power (money and control), are seeing what we do.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
They do that here in my city twice a year, spring and fall. I thought about signing up for it but have passed on it due to my work schedule. Would be nice as I always keep an eye on my neighborhood and am sure they would help me to know what more to look for. We also have a community patrol in a special city paid CVPI that after additional training you can do that, but that requires ride alongs that the COP program does not do.

bobcoop06

May 25, 2010
Indiana
We do them. In fact, there's one going on right now. However, I have no idea what they do, or what it's good for. I think they do a neighborhood watch kind of thing, but who knows? All I DO know is that the Sheriff came and grabbed me out of a training meeting last week to get TASED in front of the class. It sucked, as usual, but they got a kick out of it.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
We have a rather large one here. Its primary function is to help the community understand police duties/actions and strengthen police/community interactions.

They go through everything from law to batons, OC spray, Firearms, handcuffing, etc etc.

nwiamedic

May 21, 2010
Woodbury County, Iowa
Both our Police and Fire Dept's have Citizen's Academies. I know our Police Academy gets to do the pursuit driving course, shooting, defensive tactics, as well as interview skills, conducting traffic stops, etc. Our Fire Academy gets to drive the trucks and engines, do water supply and pump operations, run around in full bunker gear doing various tasks, etc. All participants do shift ride-a-longs too. Both groups also require the partcipants to sit in our comm center with their respective dispatcher for a couple hours. Everyone that I've talked to seems to really enjoy it.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok here's our breakdown.

last night was intro and rules for our class, intro to the dept and history, and history of the CPA. Speakers were chief, deputy chief and the LT over training.

after that we toured the PD and the county jail next door.

next week will be an hour with the Asst. DA. then a traffic stop rules and pursuit policy training with a night shift LT.

the week after that we will do mock traffic stops with the cops being bad guys. all night.

i dont have my schedule for the 4 weeks after that but we get to pick a saturday morning to go to the range. Also we get to schedule a ride along on any date, time, andwth any officer we'd like during the program.

we also have mock homicide investigation, domestic violence awareness, CSI and photography, and drug dog classes followed by "graduation" with a certificate and a nice pullover hoody with our class number and PD ensignia.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Last week we listened to and asked hundreds of questions to our A. DA as he told ue about the process of the judicial system, appeals, trails, etc. and then was showed how to properly perform a "regular" traffic stop, and then a felony stop. and was told to get ready cause your doing this next week.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
The shebyville police department regrets to inform you that your son was killed in a line of duty accident.

Yup me and my "partner" ( a pest control guy) did pretty good last night on our "traffic stop". our "perps" were the chief, DC, and Lead Investigator.

our call was "possible drunk driver" on XXX street. we were in a large church parking lot. the main strip of it was the street. after getting them to turn the motor off, they being uncooperative, i decided to "arrest" them becase even though they were faking drunk, and we were'nt taught how to do SFST, he (lead investigator) was playing a belligerent drunk... plus he had no ID. So i "handcuff" him ( which means i told him he was handcuffed lol) and stepped aside and pretended he was in the "car". next up passenger in front seat. this guy was the police chief.

He was acting real nervous, also didnt have Id on him. My partner was watching the Deputy Chief in the back seat who was fidgeting alot and didnt want to keep his hands still (and we know hands kill). I got the front passenger out of the car to the back and had him place his hands on the trunk. I did a frisk on him but didnt want to get close to his "junk" LOL after patting him down i "handcuffed" him and it was off to number 3.

I asked the instructor if i could call for "back up" and he said we have none. at this time im trying to watch the 2 guys ive got under arrest plus my partner who's dealing with number 3. The instructor told me to log myself "10-15" (suspects in custody) and then the chief yells boom your dead.

I had missed the gun by a 1/2 inch when i frisked him. they told us sometimes people will twist themselves with cuffs on to where their hands are now in front of them even though they're still cuffed. since "he did this" his gun was within each and i was dead.

At least i got all my suspects in custody, because they went relentless on the 2 older ladies and the 2 young girls in our group. the 2 older ladies were killed within 45 seconds. :lol:

The DC was hiding in the back of a pick up with a gun and when they went to talk to the driver & passenger he rose up out of the bed and shot them both.

the instructor told us. we intentionally set you up to fail but at least you get a taste of what we deal with or could deal with on a daily basis.

overall it was an interesting experince, and something to learn from.

Next week. Mock Homicide Investigation.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
well class war broken down into 2 groups again, after an initial introduction of the CID team.

One of the Sgts explained how to do a print lift off with different types of powder. (black silver and mag) off of different textured surfaces.

As a demonstration we used Sonic cups. We put finger prints on the rough part of a route 44 cup and then another print towards the top of the cup. We then dusted both prints with powder then lifted it with "tape", placed it on an index card and viola got to keep our prints. He also gave us the paper to show the three main types of finger print "designs"

second class was the mock homicide investigation.

we were told how to be logged onto a crime scene, and given a sit rep of what the patrol officer found upon his notification of a disturbance at a motel room.

we designated classmates as a photographer, photgraph logger, evidence collector (me), eveidence logger, OIC, and the others were "gophers"

our crime scene was a fake body on the ground that had fallen out of a chair. he ws murdered with multiple blows to the head with a baseball bat. there were shoe prints in blood along with hand prints finger prints etc (stage blood), supposedly it was a drug deal gone bad. we logged the drugs as an "unknown white powder" which of course was martha white flower. LOL there was also beer cans a coke bottle 2 different type of cig butts in a ash tray a pack of cigs that only 1 matched the ones in the tray, a samll scale and large scale, baggies, cell phone with "text messages" ( printed pieces of paper that refferenced a drug deal etc)and a few other assorted goodies.

My group did a wee bit better job of photographing the scene then the other team. we also pegged the killer.( the opther team couldnt make up their mind who did it.)

I got to be the spokesman to plead our case and how we came to figure out motive and method.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
and yet another interesting class last night.

Part 1 traffic accident investigation.

brief slide show of statistics of wrecks in our town for Fiscal Year 2009.

319 wrecks 3 fatalaties in a town of 18k. watched a couple of oddball traffic wrecks from different areas and asked to "determine" cause. watched a PSA from brittain about seatbelt use that was deemed to "violent" for the US

Part 2

Drug dog demonstration

Our K9 officer went into the selection, training and lifestyle of the K9 and then her experiences with her dog. We were told the defferences in passive and aggresive hit type dogs.

then we got a demonstration in an outdoor and indoor environment. after the "work" part the dog let everybody play with him and then we watched the k9 officer demonstrate some of the dogs non duty talents. He barked with out making noise, and he loves taking the caps off of plastic bottles.

Next up, comm center tour and then a domestic violence course with a member of cid.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Saturday I did my ridealong which was GREAT. the officer i rode with made 3 traffic stops but didnt issue any citations, one was arrested due to no DL 3rd offense. we started the shift out with a call to "domino's pizza workers yelling things across the street from pappa johns" they were advertiing a cheaper pizza. then a loud noise call. later on after one traffic stop we went to an active domestic where the female was woopin on the male( i knew this girl :lol: ) did the other stops after some patrolin. i couldnt ride after 12 so he went and started his warrant processing.

It was a good time and I'm looking forward to do it again sometime.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
lst night was aothr interesting class.

part 1 was at the county comm center. very short demonstration and q a session.

part 2 domestic violence awareness.

we were given the laws regarding DV given a sample form, the info to give victims, and the broken ito groups. each group wa given a diffrent scenario and the required to act given the previous info. The highschools drama class were our vics and suspects.

next week valuation of the program and "graduation'

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
duplicate

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
thats where "shovel" got its idea to do it. our cheif and theirs are friends and go way back.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.