Does your insurance co cover your POV with lights and sirens?

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Let's talk about that 500lb gorilla in the corner....

Vehicle insurance.

It has come to my attention that many smaller departments will not provide any sort of coverage to members responding to emergency calls. Further more, many insurance companies will not cover POV's with lights and sirens without insane premiums or they flat out refuse any coverage.

So, unfortunately it seems that many volunteers across the nation are forced to hang up the blinkies or take great risks in responding, AKA: Get in an accident and lose everything once the lawyers find you.

What is your coverage like?

Does your department cover your response, are you not sure? Is this something that needs to be brought up at your next department meeting?

Are you 100% certain your private insurance covers you while running hot? Just because they don't mention it doesn't mean they will pay if and when the time comes.

This is a very hot topic that needs to be discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 4, 2011
US NC
This is always something I've wondered about. We can't run hot in my state since we only have courtesy lights, but I have been curious as to who covers you guys that are classified as an emergency vehicle.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
firefighter7017 said:
This is always something I've wondered about. We can't run hot in my state since we only have courtesy lights, but I have been curious as to who covers you guys that are classified as an emergency vehicle.

I think a big part of it is "does your state classify POVs as 'emergency vehicles' "? Any SC members care to chime in? I'm pretty sure in SC POVs are "emergency vehicles" when used in response to a call for service with lights and siren.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
vonirkinshtine said:
I think a big part of it is "does your state classify POVs as 'emergency vehicles' "? Any SC members care to chime in? I'm pretty sure in SC POVs are "emergency vehicles" when used in response to a call for service with lights and siren.

I am sure a good rule of thumb is this...

If other vehicles are required by law to yield for you, your vehicle is considered an "emergency vehicle" under the law and as far as underwriters are concerned.

Courtesy lights are not much of a risk as technically they are supposed to be following all the traffic devices, speed, etc...

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
In PA the vehicle insurance is primary. Even though we as chiefs are considered "emergency vehicles" even in our POV. We have our company policy written to cover but were told it can only be secondary. I know some personal insurance carriers will add the extras to your policy but for a fee.

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
In September I stuck a deer around 2 a.m. while responding to an ambulance call. (Was not using lights or siren)

The deer did a fair amount of damage, 3K worth. Because it was a comprehensive claim (no fault) our F.D. insurance advised to claim the accident on my private policy and they would reimburse me my deducible. (Which they did)

In the event that I did not carry comprehensive coverage the F.D. insurance company would have paid the claim directly.

While responding (emergency mode or non-emergency) I am covered 100% through our departments insurance. We are even covered while returning home as well.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
My experience as an Allstate policy holder and reviewing other policies over the years is that you are covered as a volunteer ff/ambulance/rescuer if your POV is used for occaisional responses. I think they look at it differently if it's a "marked" vehicle because then it appears to be a full time emergency vehicle.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
TSFIYF:thumbsup:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Geico doesn't assign you points under certain circumstances. One of their exclustions is:

Emergency Use: Accidents involving the operation of a vehicle in response to an emergency if the operator at the time of the accident was responding to a call to duty as a paid or volunteer member of any fire department, first aid squad or other emergency responding agency.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
So long as I'm in compliance with state laws for emergency lighting/siren use then my personal insurance will cover me. I had to call my insurance company and get it in writing that they would, but they agreed to it. My department does not carry any kind of insurance for members who are responding to or departing the station. We are covered while on station property, while driving/riding the trucks, while operating at scene, and while returning to the station, but NOT in our POVs.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
As defined in the Texas statutes, my POV is an emergency vehicle under some circumstances, and my use of lights and siren is clearly stipulated, as is how I can operate my vehicle. My personal policy covers me. Again, I am not doing this full-time and I am not being paid.

You have to check with your agent because every state and every carrier has different rules and regulations. Write down what your agent tells you, along with the date and time.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Can those of you that are covered by you personal insurance while running code please tell us who it is you use?

I would love to send some business their way.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Thank God my insurence agent(he owns the franchise) is also a member of our Vol. fire dept.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
CPDG23 said:
Can those of you that are covered by you personal insurance while running code please tell us who it is you use?

I would love to send some business their way.

Nationwide

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
gallagher073 said:
In September I stuck a deer around 2 a.m. while responding to an ambulance call. (Was not using lights or siren)
The deer did a fair amount of damage, 3K worth. Because it was a comprehensive claim (no fault) our F.D. insurance advised to claim the accident on my private policy and they would reimburse me my deducible. (Which they did).

We recently went to this type of situation. The town used to cover 100% on their insurance if anything happened. New folks running the show ended that and we have to use our insurance and they will cover the deductible.

What happens to your rates if you have to make a claim? Yeah, it's great they cover the deductible but will your rate go up if you have to make a claim?

doctorkjt

May 25, 2010
Ft worth tx
does anybody know of an insurance company that will cover a pov/marked, used as my patrol car in texas. its currently under the city insurance, and has exempt plates, and is leased back to the city so it can be registered and used as a patrol car. want to outfit another pov, as an unmarked unit, and use it for another agency, but they wont insure it or register it thru the county....too much red tape. anyways, i can use it for work if i get it insured. i know some constables in texas utilize their cars the very same way, but i cant find out who insures the pov's. any info leading to the obtaining the proper insurance would be met with much enthusiasm and an honest 100 bucks as a reward IF i can get it covered. this is a no BS reward for your help thanks. kt.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Can't you ask a Constable's deputy in another precinct? Harris county constables have a lot of marked cars with regular plates, so (I assume) they are privately owned.

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
doctorkjt said:
does anybody know of an insurance company that will cover a pov/marked, used as my patrol car in texas. its currently under the city insurance, and has exempt plates, and is leased back to the city so it can be registered and used as a patrol car. want to outfit another pov, as an unmarked unit, and use it for another agency, but they wont insure it or register it thru the county....too much red tape. anyways, i can use it for work if i get it insured. i know some constables in texas utilize their cars the very same way, but i cant find out who insures the pov's. any info leading to the obtaining the proper insurance would be met with much enthusiasm and an honest 100 bucks as a reward IF i can get it covered. this is a no BS reward for your help thanks. kt.

Check with some commercial insurance brokers. No personal insurance company is going to cover something like that.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
I want to bring this thread back to life... For those of you that run L&S in your pov while responding, do you are or department cover it? If you do, does your insurance department know you run L&S? Did your premium increase or decrease?

This is one of the challenges I'm facing with changing the L&S law in my state, so any help would be nice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.