Dome for Federal Sign & Signal MS51317

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
You would need the larger diameter Beacon Ray dome for the 4-bulb Beacon Ray and 17 and 173 made in 1968 or later.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
On many Military versions of the pictured Beacon Ray, The dome pictured is the correct one.

Also, if you look closely, the guts are model 14 guts. I believe that is the correct dome that is on it.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I think the dome type depends upon when this particular beacon model was made.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Neat beacon! Factory frankenstiened!

22305070go.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
The regular beacon ray was unacceptable to the military.
Any idea why? Just because the dome was too tall? The chrome base on this one rules out camouflage... or do I remember an early Model 14 ad touting it as being tougher than the 17?

Last edited by a moderator:

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
One reason was the way the lamp holder was constructed. Three little copper clips don't hold the lamp securely enough for military specs. The steel wire clip holds the lamp in the holder much more secure.

Reactions: stansdds

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
One reason was the way the lamp holder was constructed. Three little copper clips don't hold the lamp securely enough for military specs. The steel wire clip holds the lamp in the holder much more secure.
That is the most likely reason.  Everything else about them seems to be standard model 17 stuff.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
-1 Red dome, 24 Volt

-2 Red dome, 14 Volt

-3 Amber dome, 24 Volt

-4 Amber dome, 14 Volt

-5 Blue dome, 24 Volt

-6 Blue dome, 14 Volt

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
An addition to this topic. I was researching tonight and found a manual for Military Fire fighting Equipment dated 1975. For the Emergency light it has the following listing:

Military Fire Truck.JPG

The bulbs are 50watt each, GE 4505.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Far out. I'm going to have to check the tags on the old military stuff over at the shop to cross-reference and see what's what!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I'm guessing that light would use a Model 14 dome as shown above.

Actually according to the spec sheet it uses a 17 or a 14 dome and says "May vary from that shown to suit manufacturers design."

Mine has a 17 dome but it is a tight fit. You have to use the tall bumpers and balance the screws when you tighten it down.

Speck.JPG

Reactions: dmathieu

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.