Dominion auto fender light

cuffs

Dec 29, 2010
Canada Moncton NB
ai283.photobucket.com_albums_kk282_cuffs1968_goodies2.jpg I am new to this site and thought that i would show a really cool light i picked up about 20 years ago.It is new in the box and mounts to the right fender if a vintage police car.You dont see these any more and thought i would share it.This light has a wig wag in it and clicks up and down to say police then stop.Hope you enjoy the pictures

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
We used to have these around quite a lot in the early 90's in Montreal. I heard it was a field test to try to get drunk driver's attention by flashing that "police-stop" thing right in front of them because they sometime were too sloshy to notice the lightbar in the rear view mirror. We don't see those anymore. Good find! :D

cuffs

Dec 29, 2010
Canada Moncton NB
Thats where i got the light i lived in montreal for 25 years and just moved to moncton.These light were mounted on the fender when we just had blue montreal police cars with 2 red cherries on the roof with a siren in the middle before they chaged and went with red and blue.Thanks

Ben G

May 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Those were common in Ontario up until the late 80's. They were exclusively made by Dominion Automotive. The earlier ones were a par 46 style head with STOP or POLICE STOP on them. The one in the picture above was a new model that drew less power. The whole idea was based on how traffic stops were conducted in Ontario back then. Basically you pulled up along side of the driver, got his attention, then activated the light. Pre-historic yes but from those old timers I know who used them, they said they worked great. DA also made an amber / clear version for VFF's when the legislation was so specific, they allowed on a certain diameter light with a 50 cp incandescent bulb ( got one of those ). Ben

Reactions: jdh

cuffs

Dec 29, 2010
Canada Moncton NB
No sorry this is the only one i have like this ..I do have a brand new in the box set of adam 12 lights with siren (when i go back to my moms in montreal i will post a picture of them).I collect handcuffs more then i do lights but when i have a chance i will look in my goodie box because i think i still have some stuff from sireno.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Here's a picture (the back of it) of a Montreal cruiser with that light on the front right hood.

I don't know if it's the exact same model but you get the idea of the principle.

Image from policecanada(dot)ca. good source of cruiser images by the way :)

Toon

ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx311_toon80_Dominion_20Automotive_spcum2.jpg

james911Pro

Sep 27, 2013
Montreal Canada
cuffs said:
ai283.photobucket.com_albums_kk282_cuffs1968_goodies2.jpg I am new to this site and thought that i would show a really cool light i picked up about 20 years ago.It is new in the box and mounts to the right fender if a vintage police car.You dont see these any more and thought i would share it.This light has a wig wag in it and clicks up and down to say police then stop.Hope you enjoy the pictures

Have you thought about selling this? I a really interested in finding one.

Marty1

May 29, 2010
Canada, Quebec, Alma
The one pictured on the Montreal car is bigger but that smaller one was also used by the Jonquiere Police Department in the 70's and 80's.  Im looking for one too by the way ;)

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Here's a picture (the back of it) of a Montreal cruiser with that light on the front right hood.

I don't know if it's the exact same model but you get the idea of the principle.

Image from policecanada(dot)ca. good source of cruiser images by the way :)

Toon

ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx311_toon80_Dominion_20Automotive_spcum2.jpg
The light on the Montreal PD car looks like an earlier type that was also used by the RCMP in the 1960s and early 1970s.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I remember the Township of Vaughan vehicles had the glass lensed version with the words "stop" and "police" as a glass mold in red with a blacked out back ground. They had a single P.A. Power Light up until 70 - 71 then they went with the twinsonic with the half flashers, I think that is when they faded out the fender light. The volunteers had the one pictured above except it was white over amber????? before VFF were allowed to run green. Back then if you heard the "air raid" siren go off, you know there was a fire somewhere. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.