"Doubling up" a strobe PS?

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
I have two old strobe power supplies. They are, I think, from the mid or late 80s - VAMA units, from before FedSig acqured VAMA. One is a 2-outlet and the other is a 4-outlet. They both work just fine, double flashing, but the flash pattern is very slow.

A technical question: would it be possible to connect both outlets to the same strobe light, to get a faster pattern? The output alternates between the two outlets, doesn't it? And I'm guessing all wires wouldn't even need to connect - one ground would be sufficient for the strobe light?

If this works, then by extension the 4-outlet could become a 2-outlet with a faster pattern? Or am I just going to cause a mushroom cloud if I try this?

Hopefully my explanation makes sense.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I've worked on an ambulance that had the center clear strobe setup this way. All you have to do is run the trigger wire to the lighthead from the second outlet.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Usually the white wire is the trigger.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
Usually, yes... but there is nothing usual about this PS. It has a single 8-pin connector for everything (power, ground and two strobe heads it seems) and none of the wires are white. But I think I have it figured out now.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
You should be able to call up VAMA, give them the model number, and they should be able to tell you what wire does what. That is a very odd setup though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.