Dual Color Cannon wiring question

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Hello all
I purchased a set of red/white combo cannons from a fellow member here. my first experience.

I would like to use them in 3 modes: Solid white mode for reverse. Solid red for brake/turn. Flashing red for warning.

So I connect black to ground, and one of any of these colors: red, or yellow, or green. As each lead is powered, use the blue wire momentary to ground to scroll through each color and pattern until it behaves like i want, then move on to the next trigger wire and repeat. Am I correct?

What actually happens is that I can get each head to stay on solid white, or any number of flash patterns where ALL of the leds - red and white- are simultaneously flashing. I can't seem to find any pattern that is red only no matter what.

I know I am a dumbass, can someone please show me the error of my ways?

Thanks
Bob

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
It should be patterns (including steady) color 1 (red), then patterns color 2 (white), then pattern colors alternate, then patterns colors alternate with off time between colors. This also of course depends on which generation of cannon. The only time all LEDs should light in a dual color is when you hold the blue wire to ground for more than 3 seconds to change master/slave modes.

Barring anything else it could be a malfunction in the heads.

Reactions: Jarred J.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
It should be patterns (including steady) color 1 (red), then patterns color 2 (white), then pattern colors alternate, then patterns colors alternate with off time between colors. This also of course depends on which generation of cannon. The only time all LEDs should light in a dual color is when you hold the blue wire to ground for more than 3 seconds to change master/slave modes.

Barring anything else it could be a malfunction in the heads.
Thank you. So am I correct in thinking that the process you describe above is repeated for each of the three wires (Yellow, Green, Red)? And in thinking that each wire is a "mode", that retains the pattern that is selected using this process and will reproduce that color/pattern each time it gets applied to +12 VDC?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
yes and different modes are "levels" and levels will "outrank" each other.. when power applied..
so you want to come up with do you want brake to over ride backup, or vice versa.. do you want warning to over ride the other 2? etc..

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
yes and different modes are "levels" and levels will "outrank" each other.. when power applied..
so you want to come up with do you want brake to over ride backup, or vice versa.. do you want warning to over ride the other 2? etc..
I was wondering about that also. My goal is to replace the reverse lights in my F250 with these cannons. So I want one mode to be solid white only, another mode to activate solid red for brake/turn signal, and the third mode to be red flashing for rear warning. I think if possible I would like the brake/turn to override anything else

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
unless you back up alot set backup to mode 1 warning to mode 2 and brake to 3

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
well I guess both of these are toast. The only solid color I can get to work is steady burn white. Every other pattern select produces a flash pattern of some sort, but all the LEDs come on each time, both red and white.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
5 year warranty...what's the date codes?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.