Dual Color Wiring Help

dasuriano

Sep 14, 2010
Colorado
I'm having some issues trying to wrap my head around how to wire everything together how I want.

I have a mix of Feniex dual color, Sound off Mpower duo/trio, and Whelen Trio lights. I have a Unitrol Touchmaster Delta siren controller that I'd like to continue using.

I would like to have the slide switch control the lighting, but have two separate switches for color controls. One turns on the red, one turns on the blue, which would allow me to run control them independently.
Switch one does the back
Switch two adds the front, minus the interior lights
Switch three adds interior lights and white lights.

I'd also like to have the white override functionality on the soundoff lights controlled via the buttons on the touchmaster.

I'm used to single color lights with a flasher controlling them. The dual color functionality is puzzling me.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
The short answer is it's not easily possible...

In order to use your slide switch the way you would like, is you would need to have your slide switch positions power a double pole single throw switch. Aka an on off on.

You would put each color on one side of the switch. On the white over rides if it's a 3rd wire them you could add that to the touch master independently.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It's not as difficult as Jarred makes it seem. All you need is one ON-ON 3PDT switch. Such a switch has nine contacts total, and completes three circuits (poles) in either of two directions (throws). Something like the Carling HL251-73 should suit your needs.

Connect the three outputs from your progressive slide switch to the three common terminals. Connect the three red mode wires to their respective terminals on one side of the switch and connect the three blue mode wires to their respective terminals on the other side of the switch.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You could use a 3PDT relay instead of a 3PDT switch, if you selected a relay with a 12v DC coil. The relay could be triggered by an existing switch on your Touchmaster Delta.

Such a relay might have three contacts that are considered normally closed, as they are in completed circuits with the three common contacts when the relay coil is not energized. The other three contacts would be considered normally open, as they are only in completed circuits with the three common contacts when the relay coil is energized.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Shues. The op. Is using 3 different brands of lights. Also, he wanted a white light over ride for one set of those lights.... i see now what i didnt see on mobile...lol

Yes it could be setup more easily with an on/on vs an on/off/on. :)

Last edited:

dasuriano

Sep 14, 2010
Colorado
There are no white overrides for warning. The only whites are my forward fogs, which are only white LAWs. Those and the interior lights will only be on the third switch, for night time and bad weather. The rest of the whites will be wired to the buttons on the touchmaster for scene lighting.

I will look into one of those switches, which is much easier than putting a bunch of relays in, like I thought I'd have to do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.