Dual Talon Sync Question

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
OK, so I know I saw this question before, I searched, but can not find it. So, if anyone can link me to it or just answer my question, then thank you.

Is there an easy way to sync two NON sync dual talons together? I do not want to add a flasher and put them on steady burn. I would rather be able to open them up and add whatever wiring inside that may be needed if at all possible. If not, I guess I'll be stuck with two lights flashing independently on the dash

Last edited by a moderator:

May 22, 2010
New York City
Bigassfireman said:
OK, so I know I saw this question before, I searched, but can not find it. So, if anyone can link me to it or just answer my question, then thank you.
Is there an easy way to sync two NON sync dual talons together? I do not want to add a flasher and put them on steady burn. I would rather be able to open them up and add whatever wiring inside that may be needed if at all possible. If not, I guess I'll be stuck with two lights flashing independently on the dash

some say there is a way, i never found it.......... flasher and steady is the only way i know

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
If they are set-up like the singles I've opened up, there should be a small hole next to where the power and ground are soldered onto the board. That open hole is for the sync wire... I've never done it, but in theory it should work...

evanf3

May 24, 2010
BBurg, VA
I have never heard of one. You could try to wire each lighthead up a flasher individually if you want to go that route/

TritonBoulder47 said:
If they are set-up like the singles I've opened up, there should be a small hole next to where the power and ground are soldered onto the board. That open hole is for the sync wire... I've never done it, but in theory it should work...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
evanf3 said:
I have never heard of one. You could try to wire each lighthead up a flasher individually if you want to go that route/

Thats up to the end user... I'm not saying yes and then have someone blaming me for ruining their light...

May 22, 2010
New York City
evanf3 said:

i dont think it would work too well...........either buy sync talons , use a flasher and steady burn , or leave them un synced

ac316scu

Nov 18, 2010
Westchester NY
TritonBoulder47 said:

I've noticed this too but never tried it. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The sync-model Talons have different patterns than the non-sync-model. This makes me think there is more going on here than a just a cigar cord versus a 3-wire pigtail.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
I guess I'll use the same pattern for both light and try to get power to each at the same time so maybe the pattern will be fairly close.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Bigassfireman said:
I guess I'll use the same pattern for both light and try to get power to each at the same time so maybe the pattern will be fairly close.

In my experience, that works for only the first ten or twenty seconds before they get out of sync and begin to muddy your warning signal. After seeing that and contemplating it for about three days, I broke down and bought a pair of sync dual Talons. I couldn't be happier with the results!

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I suspect that the hole for the synch wire is there on the non-synch models because the manufacturer buys only one version of the plastic shell. It would be much more expensive to purchase different shells for each model when the only difference is that tiny hole.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Steve0625 said:
I suspect that the hole for the synch wire is there on the non-synch models because the manufacturer buys only one version of the plastic shell. It would be much more expensive to purchase different shells for each model when the only difference is that tiny hole.
It has nothing to do.with the housing... The extra hole is on the control board in the lighthead...

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
fire1 said:
You can get your best answer by call tech support at whelen. If it can be done, Bruce will tell you how.
Somehow, I don't see Whelen Tech Support promoting this type of activity.

I've called them and asked for simple "outside the box" input about adding LR11's to the spacer area of a Liberty and they told me it couldn't be done... yet there is a thread here where someone did it with stock parts. I think they just stick to the script.

fire1

Jun 5, 2011
Michigan
Jman423 said:
Somehow, I don't see Whelen Tech Support promoting this type of activity.

I've called them and asked for simple "outside the box" input about adding LR11's to the spacer area of a Liberty and they told me it couldn't be done... yet there is a thread here where someone did it with stock parts. I think they just stick to the script.

He has always given me a straight answer on things that should not be done outside the factory. I am not a dealer but have worked with for years.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
TritonBoulder47 said:
It has nothing to do.with the housing... The extra hole is on the control board in the lighthead...

Oops, my bad, I could have sworn someone said "case."

But, same,same. It is likely that they use one pc board for two or more applications in the Talon. Just different components or wiring changes. The older Dual Dash King strobes are like that.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
What makes me skeptical about this working is that the patterns are different on the sync model. While the board might be the same, the programming likely isn't. It would be great if someone could confirm this one way or the other.

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
In Reply to your post #149614

Jman423 said:
What makes me skeptical about this working is that the patterns are different on the sync model. While the board might be the same, the programming likely isn't. It would be great if someone could confirm this one way or the other.

I can CONFIRM this does NOT work. I did it myself. Also if you notice, the SYNC versions have Phase 1, Phase 2 of each flash pattern, unlike the NON-SYNC versions. The Phases make it possible for the SYNC process to work. I only noticed that AFTER I attempted adding the 3rd wire to the board(s).

ac316scu

Nov 18, 2010
Westchester NY
ford-dealer said:

I can CONFIRM this does NOT work. I did it myself. Also if you notice, the SYNC versions have Phase 1, Phase 2 of each flash pattern, unlike the NON-SYNC versions. The Phases make it possible for the SYNC process to work. I only noticed that AFTER I attempted adding the 3rd wire to the board(s).

cool thanks

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
shues said:
In my experience, that works for only the first ten or twenty seconds before they get out of sync and begin to muddy your warning signal. After seeing that and contemplating it for about three days, I broke down and bought a pair of sync dual Talons. I couldn't be happier with the results!
I'll have to live with that or just use one, money is non existent right now, so buying two new lights is out of the question.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Bigassfireman said:
I'll have to live with that or just use one, money is non existent right now, so buying two new lights is out of the question.

I bought mine here, used. I paid less for both of them than one brand new one goes for.

Jtajk1995

Mar 30, 2018
Van Buren, Arkansas

Can you share with us exactly what happened?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Can you share with us exactly what happened?
If I remember, nothing. The hole in the board is purely there because why buy different boards. You need the synch style "guts" to synch. The extra wire spot doesn't do anything if the light isn't loaded with phased flash patterns which are Whelen's synch system to allow for simultaneous and alternating.

Reactions: Jtajk1995

Jtajk1995

Mar 30, 2018
Van Buren, Arkansas
If I remember, nothing. The hole in the board is purely there because why buy different boards. You need the synch style "guts" to synch. The extra wire spot doesn't do anything if the light isn't loaded with phased flash patterns which are Whelen's synch system to allow for simultaneous and alternating.
Well don't that just Suck. But thank you for the heads up.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Well don't that just Suck. But thank you for the heads up.
On the plus side the steady burn ability means you can use and external flasher.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.