Dual Unitrol Omega Question

towlercd

Jun 10, 2010
Potsdam, NY USA
So I have a dual Omega 90 set up and love it, except for one thing. When I select "yelp," both amps put out exactly the same tone, synced, so it sounds like a normal monotone siren. What I would really like is for one amp to do wail, and one to do yelp. I would still want the second amp to yelp when the siren is in sweep mode, so turning one amp to only do wail wouldn't work. Does anyone know which combo on the dip switches is needed if this is possible? Thanks in advance.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Ok, let me get this straight. You want amp 2 to do only yelp and amp 1 to do wail as primary then activate sweep of the other sounds when necessary. Is this correct? If so, on amp 2, set the dip switches like this:

group 1- switch 3 on

group 2- switches 2 and 5 on

all others off.

This should get you only yelp coming out of amp 2 at all times

Amp 1 should be set like this:

group 2- switch 8 on (this sets primary tone on amp 1 to wail.

group 1- follow install instructions to determine which sweep sounds you want via group 1, switches 2-8

sweep tones are as follows:

switch 2- wail

switch 3- yelp

switch 4- hi-lo

switch 5- hetero

switch 6- airhorn

switch 7- alarm

switch 8- futura (piercer)

The way I am reading the install sheet, this "should" get you where you want to be as far as one amp doing only yelp constant and the other doing wail with sweep being activated having tones of your choice. I may be mistaken as it's always best for me to have an amp hooked up so I can play with it to figure these things out in real time. Hope this helps or someone more knowledgeable than me comes along to tell you exactly what you need to do.

I am sure you already have this but here is the install sheet anyway. http://fedsig.com/docs/22-U90-00.pdf

towlercd

Jun 10, 2010
Potsdam, NY USA
hitman38367 said:
Ok, let me get this straight. You want amp 2 to do only yelp and amp 1 to do wail as primary then activate sweep of the other sounds when necessary. Is this correct? If so, on amp 2, set the dip switches like this:

group 1- switch 3 on

group 2- switches 2 and 5 on

all others off.

This should get you only yelp coming out of amp 2 at all times

Amp 1 should be set like this:

group 2- switch 8 on (this sets primary tone on amp 1 to wail.

group 1- follow install instructions to determine which sweep sounds you want via group 1, switches 2-8

sweep tones are as follows:

switch 2- wail

switch 3- yelp

switch 4- hi-lo

switch 5- hetero

switch 6- airhorn

switch 7- alarm

switch 8- futura (piercer)

The way I am reading the install sheet, this "should" get you where you want to be as far as one amp doing only yelp constant and the other doing wail with sweep being activated having tones of your choice. I may be mistaken as it's always best for me to have an amp hooked up so I can play with it to figure these things out in real time. Hope this helps or someone more knowledgeable than me comes along to tell you exactly what you need to do.

I am sure you already have this but here is the install sheet anyway. http://fedsig.com/docs/22-U90-00.pdf

Almost, While on wail, I would like to keep both amps on wail, but when on yelp, have one do wail, one do yelp. Then in sweep, have one do sweep tones, and one do yelp. Not sure that this is possible......

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
towlercd said:
Almost, While on wail, I would like to keep both amps on wail, but when on yelp, have one do wail, one do yelp. Then in sweep, have one do sweep tones, and one do yelp. Not sure that this is possible......
I guess it would depend on what kind of control head you have and how it is set up. It doesn't sound possible to me from the knowledge that I have aobut the O-90s. If you can catch Cajunblitz on here some time, He should be able to help you but I think his grocery/bbq joint has taken precedence since he quit installing full time so I don't see him on here much anymore.

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
towlercd said:

I don't think that is possible using the Omega 90 amps because you cannot hold the amps in dual-mode in the Wail and Yelp modes for more than 5 seconds when using the 5000 or 8000 series controllers. As for one amp sweeping through the tones and the other amp held on yelp, you maybe able to do that by experimenting with the dip switches on amp #2. Unitrol recommends that amp #1 be set for maximum tones and amp #2 be set for wail and yelp tones only when using the dual-mode feature.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
I think it requires certain wiring of the amps by modifying the wiring to achieve that effect instead of using the dual amp cable.

towlercd

Jun 10, 2010
Potsdam, NY USA
EVModules said:
I think it requires certain wiring of the amps by modifying the wiring to achieve that effect instead of using the dual amp cable.

Ok, so if that's the case, I guess more than I want to get into. Was hoping it was just a dip switch setting that I was missing. Thanks all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.