Dumb Whelen Programming Questions

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Guys and Gals

I have never done much work with Whelen. Pretty much every other manufacturer I have experience with, particularly when it comes to the software programming. I have been asked to look at a customers vehicle that has a Whelen Carbide system with Liberty II Duo, output expansion module, and additional 100 watt siren. I downloaded Whelen Command and have fooled around with it but am running into some brain farts. I have to say I am not overly impressed with the user friendliness of the program. I have searched and searched but not quite found the answers to the following questions. Whelen does not have very good documentation on their website.

1) I can extract the program form the Carbide just fine. However in the Command program I cannot see what the expansion module or lightbar are doing. In other words I can see the expansion module and lightbar in the Command software, but everything is blank like it has nothing in it. I know the lightbar and expansion module are programmed because the lights on the truck work. Am I missing an additional programming extraction step somewhere? Is there a separate module that I need to be extracting data from as well?

2) I am still slightly baffled by what the hands free function is for. Is its sole function to allow the siren to be activated via the horn ring?

3) Virtual inputs. I get the gist of what they are for but I am not sure how to use them or program them.

4) The whole Wecan thing confuses me. Is it strictly a lightbar protocol or what?

I am sure I will come up with some dumb questions. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Devenob1

May 25, 2020
Mass
Guys and Gals

I have never done much work with Whelen. Pretty much every other manufacturer I have experience with, particularly when it comes to the software programming. I have been asked to look at a customers vehicle that has a Whelen Carbide system with Liberty II Duo, output expansion module, and additional 100 watt siren. I downloaded Whelen Command and have fooled around with it but am running into some brain farts. I have to say I am not overly impressed with the user friendliness of the program. I have searched and searched but not quite found the answers to the following questions. Whelen does not have very good documentation on their website.

1) I can extract the program form the Carbide just fine. However in the Command program I cannot see what the expansion module or lightbar are doing. In other words I can see the expansion module and lightbar in the Command software, but everything is blank like it has nothing in it. I know the lightbar and expansion module are programmed because the lights on the truck work. Am I missing an additional programming extraction step somewhere? Is there a separate module that I need to be extracting data from as well?

2) I am still slightly baffled by what the hands free function is for. Is its sole function to allow the siren to be activated via the horn ring?

3) Virtual inputs. I get the gist of what they are for but I am not sure how to use them or program them.

4) The whole Wecan thing confuses me. Is it strictly a lightbar protocol or what?

I am sure I will come up with some dumb questions. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
as far as it being blank on command it may be because the original program was built on the carbide software instead of command. You may have to redo the program with command. I believe hands free is horn ring for siren. Virtuals are essentially triggers for whatever you want. One way people use them is to make flash patterns. Example ..each virtual is a pattern. So say you have a whelen ION on virtual 1 you set it to single flash 90..under type you can set it to variable timer..say 3 seconds. It will flash single flash 90 for 3 seconds. Then set another virtual input say double flash 90 for 3 seconds. You set virtual 1 to start virtual 2 when the timer runs out. It will then flash virtual 2 for 3 seconds. Then set it to start virtual 1 when Virtual 2 Ends . It creates a never ending loop. Then set whatever button you used to start the virtual loop to shut off virtuals 1 and 2 or else they will keep running

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.