Dutch Politie/Police Liberty and Freedom

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
My recently obtained Dutch Politie Liberty and Freedom. Both have primary blue lights, green command lights, and amber lights to use on scene (the thought is that amber is less distracting to passing drivers than is blue). Both bars are controlled with Honac ECU controllers and have Honac made control boards in place of the Whelen boards. They also have a few other Honac made components (e. g. the green modules on the Liberty).

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
That is very cool. I like the way they have these set up. Where is the siren speaker located.
Yeah these are my favorite Liberty and Freedom variants. The speaker isn't in the bar. I assume they are grill mounted similar to on US police vehicles. In the above video I just have the speaker off camera and underneath a folded towel and a pillow (to muffle the sound).

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Ok how the heck did they put green LEDs around the alley lights!!!??
Now all you have to do is find an annoyingly small non American car and mount that stuff on it for parades to make people from that country feel at home here in America, or run for their lives.... Either or!

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Ok how the heck did they put green LEDs around the alley lights!!!??
Now all you have to do is find an annoyingly small non American car and mount that stuff on it for parades to make people from that country feel at home here in America, or run for their lives.... Either or!

Honac (Dutch company that partners w Whelen) custom made the green modules/adapters for this bar. From what I understand, they had reliability problems, possibly due to heat from alley lights.

3D15942B-B866-49DA-9398-1FAF10A42013.jpeg

Last edited:

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Command identification light for bigger incidents. From what I've been told, it is typically employed by the first arriving unit (as opposed to a later arriving higher ranking officer). I don't think it is used a lot.
With the new led alley lights they should be able to switch those out to mr11s or such in dual colors.

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
With the new led alley lights they should be able to switch those out to mr11s or such in dual colors.

The Freedoms (which replaced the Liberties) are now being retired and replaced by FS Vama TrafficStorms (though they don't have the raiseable signs usually found on TrafficStorms). The Dutch Politie TrafficStorms do make use of dual color modules for the blue/amber but I don't know about the greens.

0D63D3DE-DDD1-4FF4-8E87-33EE1573C362.jpeg

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
they don't remount bars

There is a national contract for the vehicle and bar (not sure of length of contract but 6-8 years maybe?). The bars use fiberglass adapters that are form fitted to the particular model vehicle, so bars can't be remounted to a different model vehicle (well it would require manufacturing a new adapter).

The Liberty was paired w the VW Golf as the primary patrol vehicle. They were replaced by the Freedom/VW Touran, which is in turn being replaced by the Mercedes B Class and TrafficStorm.

Last edited:
Reactions: kitn1mcc

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
That Liberty is especially cool!!!
It's the rarer of the two for sure as the Liberty w amber and green was only in production for a year or two before they switched to the Freedom. Prior they didn't require amber and the green modules on the Liberties weren't custom, nor were they on the ends (they were just front/back tir 3 modules).

Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky
Could swear I saw this bar on a BMW police car in Spain. Still researching and keep you posted! Green was displayed to show perimeter vehicles I thought..... ?

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Could swear I saw this bar on a BMW police car in Spain. Still researching and keep you posted! Green was displayed to show perimeter vehicles I thought..... ?

Both of these bars are Dutch specific bars with a few components and the control system made by a Dutch company specifically for them (the company used to be called Honac, now it's called Modiforce). With that said, obviously there are a ton of Liberties and Freedoms in service and, given that other countries use signage, it's certainly possible there are similar looking bars out there. Spain tends to use FS Vama products but that doesn't mean Whelen products aren't found there.

The color usage described above is correct for the Netherlands. Other countries may very well use the same colors for other purposes. Heck amber remains a primary emergency color in Spain for fire and EMS (though I understand EMS at least is transitioning to blue).

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky
Both of these bars are Dutch specific bars with a few components and the control system made by a Dutch company specifically for them (the company used to be called Honac, now it's called Modiforce). With that said, obviously there are a ton of Liberties and Freedoms in service and, given that other countries use signage, it's certainly possible there are similar looking bars out there. Spain tends to use FS Vama products but that doesn't mean Whelen products aren't found there.

The color usage described above is correct for the Netherlands. Other countries may very well use the same colors for other purposes. Heck amber remains a primary emergency color in Spain for fire and EMS (though I understand EMS at least is transitioning to blue).
I believe you are right. Most do use Vama in those areas. Just remember seeing a lot of those countries using green for perimeter/checkpoint purposes. Not a bad concept in the use of certain colors for certain assignments, especially for aerial coverage and unit identification (helicopters)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.