Duty boots for an EMT>

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
Im Enrolled in the EMT program, and i need boots.. i wear a size 15. I prefer side zip and water resist. As soon as i pass, they will be my duty boots, so i need something affordable , but also durable..

ive looked on Galls, but i have no first had experence. I have had a Pair of redwing Side zip, and a Pair of Rocky side zip, and both are falling apart within one year of purchace..

rsqemt911

May 25, 2010
Naugatuck Ct
Original SWAT side zip boots. i've had mine for 6 years and they aren't too pretty anymore, but they are still waterproof and have structurally held up to some real battle.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I am in the same... boot... as you...(haha.. Get it??) :roll: Ah nevermind.. hehe.. No, but I know how you feel about the size. I have had quite a few amount of boot and I can say the best two pairs as far as comfort go (for me) is Bates and 5.11. Only thing I can say about 5.11 is the sole has started to peel from the main part but nothing that a little bit of super glue won't fix. Also regardless of what type of boot you get, I suggest spending money on a GOOD pair of insoles. Not the $5 or $10 dollar one from WallyWorld but a GOOD pair of Dr. Scholes or something... (Though you can get them from WallyWorld also.) They have these machines out that can tell you what ones are best for you and I would suggest that.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - Side zipper is the way to go for EMS/Fire. Slipping them on and going is the best.

StriketheBox

May 23, 2010
Midwest USA
localhero800 said:
Im Enrolled in the EMT program, and i need boots.. i wear a size 15. I prefer side zip and water resist. As soon as i pass, they will be my duty boots, so i need something affordable , but also durable..

ive looked on Galls, but i have no first had experence. I have had a Pair of redwing Side zip, and a Pair of Rocky side zip, and both are falling apart within one year of purchace..

I have had a pair of Rocky para troopers for almost 7 years now. Work great. Almost 6000 runs on them, and still going strong. Not the prettiest things though.

towlercd

Jun 10, 2010
Potsdam, NY USA
I have been wearing a pair of Haix Airpower R2s for the last 4 months and love them. Comfortable with good support and front zipper standard. A little pricey, but can be resoled if you wear them out through Haix. To save a buck they have factory seconds (they say cosmetic issues only, never tried them) for a substantial discount on their website if they have your size.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
besides that...

i am actually wearing New Balance quasi hiking boots for EMS. They are water resistant and very durable. I know they don't do the bloodborne pathogens resistance, etc but i have found them to be the most comfortable...

food for thought.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
WOW.. thnks for the quick replies.. and sorry for posting in the wrong thread... I have had alot of good toward the 5.11 boots, and galls has some decent prices on them.. i think i will go that route!

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
5.11 boots are a hit ad miss. You will hear great things, or bad things, i had a bad issue with them, the stitching holding the zippers in started to come loose, and the customer service regarding these boots was horrible. Now that said i have spent a lot of money with 5.11 and have had nothing but great things to say about everything else they make. i could have had just a bad pair of boots. I am using bates, they are good hold up and are good over all ...

blazinSS934

Jul 2, 2010
Long Island NY
Speaking of insoles if you go to your local redwing store they have custom molded insole. The are 35 bucks , you toss them in the oven for 10 min then u put them in your boots and walk around with them.Best 35 bucks I have ever spent, and you can remold them to your feet I think 10 times. I have them in my boots for about 3 yrs only remolded them twice .

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
IMO,

5.11s & Bates aren't the best bang for your buck. I have had pairs of both, the 5.11s fell apart rather quickly and lost their waterproofing. The Bates didnt breathe and weren't as comfortable as the pairs of the Rocky boots I have owned. My last few pairs have been Rocky AlphaForce boots and they rock. They are a bit heavy, but they are warm in the cold, cool in the heat and very waterproof. All of them have held up to over a year of daily abuse, the only reason I bought a second pair was because I grew out of the size 13's.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.