Easy Fix Water Leakage Around Magnet Mount Beacon?

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Back in the day when I ran magnet mounted lights, I ran the cord through the front top corner of the rear passenger door. The door gasket kept the water out of the car. That kept the cord run on the roof as short as it could be, as well.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Yeah, that's where it is. the light is close to the edge at the split between the 2 doors so the length of cord is only about 8". Water still seams to find it's way down the cord into the truck. The gasket is like new, (2014 F250).

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
I'm having the same issue in my truck with antenna coax. Hopefully someone has a solution! I'd like to get my antenna back up on the roof.

Dan

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
easy Dan. NMO mount in the roof... LOL

Reactions: NVFD612

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I also want this to be totally portable, and easy to reach. I had it mounted center roof connected to a plug through the third brake light, but too far to reach, and have to roll up the tonneau cover and get in the bed to remove the light, and reattach the tonneau. The center roof mount is totally water proof and portable, but mounting on the edge of the roof over the door split allows easy reach install and removal.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Loop the wire in the door frame an inch or so before you put it through the seal. (Make a "u" with the cord)

That'll force water down to the bottom of the u and gravity will take over instead of it going back up and where the wire runs through the door seal.

Always worked for me when I ran a wire outside a door. May take a few tries to ensure its water free.

Reactions: NVFD612

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.