Ecco 5280 - disassemble?

thatoneiowan

May 23, 2016
Central Iowa
Wondering if anyone here has worked on the Ecco 5280. I got one dirt cheap but the wires were cut at the bar. I can't seem to figure out how to take it apart to add more wire. I was hoping to just push the factory wiring into the bar and run my own wire out of the hole. There is one screw on the base that I took out. It seems like the dome would pop off and I could unscrew the reflectors to get to the wiring, but I can't seem to get the dome off either. Any ideas?

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
I just went and took a look at mine. The lens must be glued on.

Have you tried contacting ecco directly?

The product page mentions "service free life". I interpret that as meaning the light can't be opened to fix anything, which is a real shame.

thatoneiowan

May 23, 2016
Central Iowa
I just went and took a look at mine. The lens must be glued on.

Have you tried contacting ecco directly?

I've not yet, no, figured I would see if anyone here knew anything about it first. I'm not the original owner so not sure what they can do for me. There's a date stamp 1/31/18 so would assume it's within warranty, but I can't find any info on that - including seeing if the warranty transfers to new owner. I'll probably try getting a hold of them today or tomorrow.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
This has come up before. I know there is an issue, or possibly a trick. I also believe there was an engineering change to address this. The bad news is I can't remember the fix. Keep looking using the search on this site. Calling the manufacturer is the best idea.

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
I think you might be confusing it with the single head version.

The single head version has a removable cover.

Version 1 had a cover that wasn't removable.

Version 2 had a twist off cover... that was also damn near impossible to remove.

thatoneiowan

May 23, 2016
Central Iowa
Hi all, this is what I got back from customer service:

First, the warranties on their products does not transfer and cut wires is not covered under warranty anyways. Also the 5280 is "sold as a complete unit so there are no replacement parts."

I asked about either sending it in and paying for repair, or trying to just take it a part myself and add wire and got this back:

The lens has a bead of epoxy securing it around the lower edge, that’s why it won’t come off after removing the screw on the bottom. You should be able to get the rest of it apart and get to the wiring to extend it if you can get the lens off – which will likely be tough to do without breaking it, but at this point it’d be worth a shot…

I did check inventory and unfortunately we do not have that lens in stock.

Sooo, unless anyone else has any ideas I suppose I'll just try to put some heat onto where the epoxy bead is to see if it loosens up enough to pull the dome off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.