Edge 9M 48" on SuperDuty roof?

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
I have a 48"Edge 9M that I need to mount on the roof of a 1997 Ford F-SuperDuty. I'd prefer to use the gutter mounts rather than drill holes into the roof, if such things exist.

How is this best done? Are there longer straps available for the lightbar, or what options do I have?

Anyone have any of the correct mounts for this lightbar on that size roof? Everything is there, it just doesn't have enough "reach".

Thanks for any help!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
A 48" bar is too narrow compared to the width of the cab roof, especially if you intend to install it using straps that hook onto the rain gutters. If you try install a 48" bar, you will find yourself unable to set the feet wide enough so they land on the curved portion of the roof.

A 55" bar is probably what Whelen recommends, but I think a 60" bar looks best. In fact, you'll find that the cab roof measures 60" door seal to door seal.

With that said, the correct Whelen straps are marked with drawing number 60911. They are part of strap kit STPKT6 or MKEZ6. These straps are longer than most, at about 9-1/4" long:

bHj16rA.jpg

CZaeOvT.jpg

Reactions: Dave F

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
Thanks! I was on the phone with Whelen tech support regarding another matter, so I asked them, they said for a 48" bar on a big roof like that, I needed STPKT6 which has the 11" straps and it should fit. I ordered one of those kits. Thanks for the steer in the right direction though!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Would you mind measuring your straps when they arrive and let me know if they're actually 11" long, please?

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
Absolutely not a problem. According to Whelen they should be 11.5" long. I should have them early next week and will report back on it.

In the meantime, I'm curious how to set up this Edge 9000 duplex rear... I understand the TA part, but curious what the lights above it are capable of.

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Lights above the arrowstick in a duplex can be either strobes or flashers :)

If needed a 60” frame for an edge i have 2 of them. Im still thinking about how i wanna fill them up, was gonna make 1 a freedom bar but not totally sure yet (and ive had them at least 3 weeks or so)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.