Edge question

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Okay this might be an easy question to answer, but I’m in the process of building a 60” edge bar as a freedom bar and want to completely black out the rear.......what parts are needed to black it out??

And also how many modules would be needed to do the front, it has a blackout part and some of the red pieces (plan is the make it full red/white in front), and also what power supplies are needed to fully complete it??

Okay I’m done with my stupid question post

Here’s a pic of what I got so far (might not be best and I apologize)

A6490D88-4FBD-4704-B064-0F45901D8EB6.jpeg54FB9D51-9DB8-43B9-BB38-5240EAA7D404.jpeg

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
The edge bars have black lenses available. I would think spraying Plastidip on the inside of clear lenses would look ok too. Plastidip is easily removable vs spray paint.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
To populate the front you can go a combo of strobe and halogen. A few questions,
1 - are you blacking out the entire rear of the bar. Some keep the rear corners to have proper side warning even if the bar is blacked out to the rear.
2 - are you keeping the center front blacked out?

As far as populating the bar, you can put in corners and 4 inner strobes on a eb-6, sl-6 and whelen had another 6 outlet supply as long as all of the strobe tubes are the same length.

Last edited:
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
To populate the front you can go a combo of strobe and halogen. A few questions,
1 - are you blacking out the entire rear of the bar. Some keep the rear corners to have proper side warning even if the bar is blacked out to the rear.
2 - are you keeping the center front blacked out?

As far as populating the bar, you can put in corners and 4 inner strobes on a eb-6, sl-6 and whelen had another 6 outlet supply as long as all of the strobe tubes are the same length.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work and figuring out how i wanna light these bars up.

For your questions
1) i decided im gonna have corner strobes in front and rear corners, and 2 of the 3x7 strobes in front (i think they are 3x7 strobes anyways.......they look like a rectangle)

2) i plan on keeping the front and rear centers blacked out, as well as the remaining rear that doesnt have strobes or halogen flashers.

Now for the bad news for me.......i decided to throw out the edge power supplies i had gotten due to wires missing and cut at the bottom of the boards.

Just trying to figure out how to put 2 rectangle strobes secured together in the bar with the corners.

I also have sets of the strobe/dual twist lock bulb assemblies, some are missing bulbs though

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
OK, you can have the 6 liner light heads (4 corner & 2 Front) on one supply as long as the tubes are the same length. Also, you cant mix helix and liner tubes together (on Whelen lightbar PS) unless you flash the liner together, then the helix ones together. With that said, usually, 9M series had the PS's behind the corner tubes, 9000 in the center. So PS placement depends on the supplys you have and the bar, since the 9M frame have the mounts in the frame for them.
I rebuilt a 72" bar with a combo of 4 corner & 2 front, liner tubes and 4 halogen flashers and 4 steady burns. Worked out nice. See Attachment
Also, it sounds like since the PS that you got, had the wires cut short, would suggest they were DOA.
I hope that helped out. :)Large Light 72 inch whelen.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.