Edge SL6 power supply question...

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
A while back I picked up a mini Edge 94 MEDGEP. It was a 4 strobe but one was burned out. When replacing the burned out strobe I noticed it had 2 spare strobe wires from the SL6 power supply. I have a couple of spare inboard strobes I would like to hook up if I can to run it as a 6 head.

All I can find is info on retrofitting this power supply into mini Edges but only using 4 heads. The wiring diagram for that shows front and rear hookups while leaving the 3rd harness empty. Can I mix in 2 inboard strobe heads with the 4 corner heads? Could I swap the connections around so the 4 corners would run and the inboards would be the front cutoff?

Any wiring diagram labeling input and output (what cutoff too) connections?

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Hi. Since the SL6 is not a regulated power supply, mixing different length tubes is not suggested, especially if the strobes you are adding are the helix type tubes. The only way you can add two more strobes is if the tubes you are adding are the same length as the corners.
What will end up happening is the shorter tubes (helix) will be brighter and burn out sooner.
I believe you can set up the bar to have the corners on, and have the centers on a separate connection.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Hi. Since the SL6 is not a regulated power supply, mixing different length tubes is not suggested, especially if the strobes you are adding are the helix type tubes. The only way you can add two more strobes is if the tubes you are adding are the same length as the corners.
What will end up happening is the shorter tubes (helix) will be brighter and burn out sooner.
I believe you can set up the bar to have the corners on, and have the centers on a separate connection.

If you use linear center strobes like the later duplex era edges you can make it work. Keep in mind you are going to have to do one front one rear, two won't fit to the front. I'm not sure what you have to work with, but you would probably be better off adding halogen work lights or flashers if you only have room for smaller micro heads. You can use helix styles if you toss in another power supply, the ones from a piercer II actually work well. As JDH noted the helix and linear strobes generally need to be on their own supplies. If you look at 9000 edges with linear corners and helix center strobes they are on two separate supplies. The exception is some shorter linear strobes are technically the same interior tube volume as a helix style, so you can experiment and see. If the the corners drop in brightness you know you have mismatched tube volumes.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
If you use linear center strobes like the later duplex era edges you can make it work. Keep in mind you are going to have to do one front one rear, two won't fit to the front. I'm not sure what you have to work with, but you would probably be better off adding halogen work lights or flashers if you only have room for smaller micro heads. You can use helix styles if you toss in another power supply, the ones from a piercer II actually work well. As JDH noted the helix and linear strobes generally need to be on their own supplies. If you look at 9000 edges with linear corners and helix center strobes they are on two separate supplies. The exception is some shorter linear strobes are technically the same interior tube volume as a helix style, so you can experiment and see. If the the corners drop in brightness you know you have mismatched tube volumes.
Thank John,
You can mix tubes on a non regulated supply. However, you must flash the helix together and the linears together. We had a mini edge on a box truck that was set up with that configuration.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
If you use linear center strobes like the later duplex era edges you can make it work. Keep in mind you are going to have to do one front one rear, two won't fit to the front.
One last item. There is a holder that will support 2 linear strobes, one over the other. So you can have 2 center linear strobes to the front (or rear). I picked up a skid of Orlando PD bars after they went to the 9M, and they were the duplex bars, I think they were called the "Y" bars ???, but their bars had the strobe over strobe set up for the front center. :)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
One last item. There is a holder that will support 2 linear strobes, one over the other. So you can have 2 center linear strobes to the front (or rear). I picked up a skid of Orlando PD bars after they went to the 9M, and they were the duplex bars, I think they were called the "Y" bars ???, but their bars had the strobe over strobe set up for the front center. :)
Yeah, you can do that too, there are mini edges with duplex rears or centers, the linear tubes seem to be about the right size. If you are lucky you can find a set of tubes in the brackets.

edgedup2.JPG
edgedup1.JPG

Reactions: jdh

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.