Edge strobe measurement questions & power supply questions

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Here's the POSSIBLE scenario:

My vollie dept's second out engine is an '86 Mack CF/Pierce that has a 48" Edge on top. The chief works part time on a tow truck and his son-in-law, who's also on the dept, works the tow truck full time. One of the rollbacks' 60" Towman's Edge is on it's last leg for the tow company they work for. So, if they get a new (to them) lightbar, I might be able to acquire the 60" frame to put on the Mack.

What I'm looking at is some serious upgrading from the standard ZFO style strobe power supply (not even sure if that's correct, been a LOOOONG time since I've messed with older Edge power supplies) to some EB6 power supplies or whatever the current style is to make it into a 10 or 12 head Edge for the Mack. My questions are:

1) What is the length of the older style linear strobes meant to mount inboard in an Edge bar?

2) Did Whelen even make a seperate inboard helix style strobe, or were they only part of the three housing assembly which included the corner? If that was made, what's it's length?

3) Can current style power supplies be wired AND mounted in (probably what's being used in the 9M style bars now)?

4) In the 60" Towman's bar, is there only room to mount two power supplies?

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I have made a few old 9908s into 12 head bars with 6 linear & 6 twistlock strobes. On the front it is the setup like so linear twistlock linear EB6 powersupply linear twistlock linear. The rear is the same except both inboard strobes are twistlock. I also added a takedown kit that can mount in the center over the power supply as rear work lights.

On a 60 inch bar on a firetruck I would be comfortable putting 2 powersuppys in the rear of the bar. This will allow you to have a 3rd powersupply if desired or leave more room for extra slide in linear strobes in the front. If you use a linear & twistlock strobe combination just remember not to use one of each on the same powersupply. Also keep in mine from an off axis view the twistlock strobes give off no light but look great if your looking at em head on.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
1. I think they are 7x3 or close

2. I have seen something similar; w/the housing shape I think its' about 5-6"x3??

3. Yes, almost 100% positive unless you use the long 9M power supplies - you'd need a way to mount them to the frame.

4. You might be able to squeeze in 3 or even 4.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
About the 9M powersupplys in order to use em you would need other stuff to make em work so you would end up spending probably more than you want to & would be better off getting your hands on a used 9M & gutting it. If you want to stick with basic & affordable I would use EB6 or SL6 powersupplys

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Thanks for the replies, fellas. Did some looking around and if the author is correct when they placed the ads on fleabay, the linear style inboard tubes are about 6" in length. I've got options SHOULD this happen, it's not even set in stone if I can get the Towman's bar as a hand me down. I know for sure if I do make it happen, only thing to the rear of the bar will be a pair of corner strobes and MAYBE a pair of flashers; all other warning will be directed to the front since there's a pair of strobe beacons on the back of that rig.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
The nice thing about the Edge bars is that they are easily upgradeable. There are several different types and styles of light modules that can be used in them, because after 28 years of making them, Whelen has used many different types of innards over the years. I would recommend using EB6 or SL6 power supplies, because they pull 6 heads each and they are easy to find if they ever need replaced and they are getting cheaper too. You can pick them up for around $25 or so now compared to $50 and over just a few months ago.

If you want some matching Edge strobe modules with replaceable linear tubes to use towards the front of that bar, I have around 10 or so. I also have a complete set of red lenses, with some clear available if wanted, and would swap them to you if that bar has amber lenses and endcaps. PM me for more info if interested.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
A PM is definitely comin' your way.

Yeah, the Edge bars are always fun to play with. Just did the LED upgrade for my paid dept. It's pretty much a homebrew Freedom using an Edge Ultra frame and saved us a ton of money. Also, I used to have an Edge on a previous vehicle and had to do a decent amount of custominzing, BUT, it's been about four years since I had to mess with it, so a little rusty when it comes to the actual Edge strobe stuff.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.