Edge TA half-bar question

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I'm trying to put the lightheads on an Edge half bar frame. It's a halogen TA bar. The bar needed to be taken apart to mount on a wall. The issue that I'm running into is when reassembling the bar, one of the outermost lightheads always protrudes. Two of the spacers that go between the lightheads are a tad wider. I've tried putting them in different positions on the bar and it doesn't help.

I know that this is an easy fix, but what am I doing wrong here. I'm definitely missing something obvious!

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Got any pics?
Might be easier for folks to visualize the problem.
And also, was this a complete bar before you took it apart to mount it, and now having an issue putting it back together?

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I'll take some ideally tonight, but realistically tomorrow. It's just a bit of a PITA to reassemble!

Edges are a great series of bar, but frig me are they a pain to take apart or reassemble!

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Yea. I hear ya.
I am a Whelen fan and love the edge series. I am in no way an expert. But I have taken a few apart.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Post a picture if you can, I have a few of these bars, the cable entry is often a spacing issue

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Post a picture if you can, I have a few of these bars, the cable entry is often a spacing issue

I apologize for not getting photos up yet. Work's got me wiped out after 3.5 months of understaffing without management doing anything about it.

John, what you said about the cable just might be it. I'd initially placed the larger spacers on both sides of the lighthead that sits over the cable entry. Because the cable casing was making it a PITA to get the lightheads back in, I removed the casing as the bar's being used as a floating shelf that I'll be hooking up to a TA controller. Even has a custom cut and ground glass top. I can't wait to get it all going.

I can't (and won't!) take any credit for the shelf. A fella in town here who's a long-time elb member got a wallop of half bars from ambulances. TA, AdvantEdge, AdvantEdge w/ work light and AdvantEdge with strobe. He cleaned them all up, ordered the glass and they sold out in less than a week. Considering the cost, time and effort involved, the bars' condition and the cost of glass, the price was much more than agreeable. I almost didn't get mine as despite receiving an early invite, I was last to the party and a minute shy of missing it!

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Ok, the mystery has been solved. Although this is going to result in a bruised ego, I'll get it out.

The problem was that I was putting the spacers on the same track as the lights. Yes, that's right. Amateur hour mistake. I figured this out when I noticed a bit of dirt on a spacer whose pattern looked to be consistent with it being a tad above the lightheads' edges. Gave it a check and yes, that was the issue.

The silver lining is that I learned a bit more about this series of bar and its many quirks.

If I can say anything in my defence it's that I'm still relatively new to Edges. I wasn't a big fan of strobe until I got a Heliobe. That beast permanently changed my opinion.

Reactions: firebuff17

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Remember to lean forward and slap yourself upside the back of the head and say DOH!

That was most certainly done, except with a healthy dose of profanity and then some laughter at my own expense.

• Haha
Reactions: Nolines

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn’t mind seeing a pic or two still..
It’s October, give us some Eye Candy..!

Ask and ye shall receive.....on or just before Halloween! I'm in the middle of giving the lenses a nice buff!

Reactions: StEaLtH2

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
20211031_172945.jpg

Not the best photo, but it's up. That's a Target Tech Turbobeam in the middle of two Japanese PATLITE permanent mount teardrops. They rotate vertically and are used on a vehicle's sides.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The ceilings are 6' in the basements and the studs are all over the place. This was the only place we could find studs with proper pacing. I reckon that I'll put a Japanese siren from the early 80s on it (once it's fixed) and various interesting knick-knacks on it.

And a TA controller to make it come to life!

Reactions: firebuff17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.