Emergency!! SOS HLF ETHFSS-SP HELP

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Ok, well I need some help quick. I am installing a Sound Off Signal HLF into a 98 Dodge Dakota. Now I have everything installed and hooked up right and I am not getting any flashes out of the high beams. Now I have to blue and yellow wires hooked up to the high-beams, and now I also have the white wire going to a a relay that turns of when the vehicle is started. Now I also have the green wire grounded and the red wire goes to the switch to activate the HLF. Now the white and red wires have 12 volts to them when activated. Now I did take a voltage meter to the blue and yellow wires and I dont get a reading out of them. Now I do know I have a good ground and still nothing. This did have a flasher in it with relays. Now is this the issue. Cause the other flasher sound off tells me to use is one with relays. Now I now this has a positive switching system cause if I take a power wire and run it to the blue or the yellow wires the high-beams come on. Now I need help with this ASAP. Thanks guys.

lifelinemedic

May 21, 2010
Boston, MA
first off stop saying now. lol. second im not positive that you have the relay hooked up, im trying to draw a diagram based on what you said so ill get back to you

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Yea, I already tried that. There is a wire on there that if you hook it up to your parking light that it will disable the flasher so it would active if it sees the headlights are one. I tried grounding that out and even applying power to that wire and still nothing. So I am not sure if its a flasher issue or just the wrong one. I know that Sound off calls for two different kinds of flashers one is the Solid State one and the other is the one with Relays in it.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Try hooking up the orange and red wires to the high beams and see what happens. That is what the chart from Sound Off says is the correct wire colors for the "Right" high beams. Not sure why they have a right but not a left like they do for the TLF, but either way I don't think that it will hurt trying that wire combination. I think it is some of the newer Dodge's that require the isolated flashers, but according to Sound Off's chart it says to use the flasher that you ordered. Let me know if this works or if you get it figured out. I'm curious myself now what's going on. Hopefully one of us here on the board will be able to figure out the issue for you.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
There is no Orange and red wires on the flasher. The My car also said the same thing right high beam is the Pink wire, but its just goes from one high beam to the other and just cut it and it will alternate. The biggest thing that confuses me is that I am not getting a reading to the wires to the highbeams. If I do hit the high beams they still work and come one, just not getting anything out of the flasher.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
ffjwhite said:
There is no Orange and red wires on the flasher. The My car also said the same thing right high beam is the Pink wire, but its just goes from one high beam to the other and just cut it and it will alternate. The biggest thing that confuses me is that I am not getting a reading to the wires to the highbeams. If I do hit the high beams they still work and come one, just not getting anything out of the flasher.

Are there orange and red wires under the hood with the headlight system? There should be a red wire, but looks like it is for the switch. I'm not sure what the chart was talking about then. I'm really shooting in the dark here. I've never installed a HLF personally. Just trying to look at what I have an trying to help you troubleshoot. I'm sure you know more than I do about installing these.

So you cut the pink wire and attached the green and blue wires to the two ends of the pink wire, then powered it up and still got no flashing?

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
invisble ink said:
Did you cut the wire linking the two headlighs together?

You gotta cut the wires? :roll:

There is no pink wire on the dodge. I was talking about my impala with the pink wire. This already had a flasher in it from before and I took it out. It was a sound off HLF, but it was a really old one and stopped working. This one had relays in it.

invisble ink

Jun 17, 2010
Old Bridge, NJ
Positive Side Switched Headlights

WHITE Wire: Connect to +12Vdc through a 15A ATO style fuse.

BLUE and YELLOW Wire: Locate the wire that supplies power to the

passenger side high beam headlight. Cut this wire approximately 10-12"

from the back of the headlight. Connect the YELLOW wire to the lead

returning to the passenger side headlight and BLUE wire to the other lead.

This will flash the driver side highbeam headlight.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
ffjwhite said:
You gotta cut the wires? :roll:

There is no pink wire on the dodge. I was talking about my impala with the pink wire. This already had a flasher in it from before and I took it out. It was a sound off HLF, but it was a really old one and stopped working. This one had relays in it.

Ok, gotcha. Sorry about that. :p

Hummm...I've got nothing.

And I'm going to go ahead and guess that you've already done this, lol

Troubleshooting:

Symptom:

No Operation

Solution:

Verify fuse is not open.

Verify voltage of 8-30Vdc

is present on Red wire and

Flash enable wire.

Edit: I meant blue and yellow wires before, not green. I should have double checked the diagram before I posted it.

invisble ink

Jun 17, 2010
Old Bridge, NJ
The way I'm reading the chart is that there is a red wire with a orange stripe on it coming out of the passenger side headlight. You'd need to cut that wire and connect the yellow wire from the flasher to the wire going into the headlight and the blue wire onto the other end of the wire that you cut. If you didn't it could be looping back and not causing the flasher to work right.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
invisble ink said:
The way I'm reading the chart is that there is a red wire with a orange stripe on it coming out of the passenger side headlight. You'd need to cut that wire and connect the yellow wire from the flasher to the wire going into the headlight and the blue wire onto the other end of the wire that you cut. If you didn't it could be looping back and not causing the flasher to work right.

Yea I already know that, I was being sarcastic, lol. That wire was already cut when the other HLF was in there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.