EQ2B 30A fuse blowing when trying any sound output from control head

Xodus989

May 4, 2015
Southern California
On our way to a response our EQ2B died, the 30amp fuze on the amplifier / brain blew.  Figure it was a one off, we replaced the fuse.  The control head lit up like it normally would, but when we moved the know from Off over to Wail (Or did any other sound activating feature like airhorn, cycle, etc --with the unit in manual position--) the 30 amp fuse blew again.  The short lights on the unit were also not illuminated.  Possible bad com cable?  Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xodus989

May 4, 2015
Southern California
Probably a bad output transistor. I'd go ahead and replace both.

Replace both as in the unit or both transistors?  I take it the transistors aren't user serviceable parts either?  Unless it's under warranty, I doubt our company will opt to have it repaired because we also have dual tone whelen 2n95's.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Replace both as in the unit or both transistors?  I take it the transistors aren't user serviceable parts either?  Unless it's under warranty, I doubt our company will opt to have it repaired because we also have dual tone whelen 2n95's.

Both transistors.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

First, remove and bench test it.  Rule out the speaker etc.  But as several users stated, it's likely bad internal components.  Call Federal Signal first, it may be a cheap fix out of warranty that is doable.  But if it is going to be just "not replaced", there is no harm in having one of our members "warranty void fix it". Sometimes internal components are a few dollars and a little soldering time.  MtnMan, any comments on how easy it is to "warranty void fix" these?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Definitely check the speaker or speakers first.  I faced the same issue a few years ago, and found the cause to be a failed speaker.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
First, remove and bench test it.  Rule out the speaker etc.  But as several users stated, it's likely bad internal components.  Call Federal Signal first, it may be a cheap fix out of warranty that is doable.  But if it is going to be just "not replaced", there is no harm in having one of our members "warranty void fix it". Sometimes internal components are a few dollars and a little soldering time.  MtnMan, any comments on how easy it is to "warranty void fix" these?

Not sure what you mean by "warranty void," but transistor replacement is typically straightforward. My usual repair charge is $60 plus actual parts cost.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Not sure what you mean by "warranty void," but transistor replacement is typically straightforward. My usual repair charge is $60 plus actual parts cost.

I mean working on the parts that are considered to by the manufacturer to be  "not user serviceable," or listed as "warranty void if altered/opened".  Most sirens are not considered internally user serviceable by their manufacturers.  Typically such repairs are only done by the end user after the warranty is period is over because if the warranty were in effect it would cover them, and/or the repairs or opening the unit may void the warranty.   That doesn't mean the repair isn't easy or doable.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.