eLightbars USA
Direct Pattern Input Flasher

Manufacturer: ERM

Model Number: DPIF01

Link to manufacturer: ERM Products - Control at your fingertips

Product Type: Relay based flasher electronic flasher

Intended Usage: Headlight or halogen light flasher

Intended Market: POV, Departmental, Commercial, Heavy Duty

Review Type: Official Featured Review, Lab Simulated Testing, Outdoor elemental testing

Reviewer(s): John Marcson

Product Description: From ERM Documentation

This programmable headlight flasher is designed to allow the user to create their own custom pattern. With a recording feature of 45 seconds, the end user can create an array of patterns that continuously repeats itself when activated.

Review:

The DPIF01 is more than a headlight flasher, that's just the beginning of what this product can be. This is a set of two 10amp, 12vdc relays that have been setup to either ground or power in a user entered pattern. You have two relays that you can program to ground or power anything in any sequence up to 45 seconds, repeating until the unit is powered off. You also have the ability to pause or override either of those relays with power or ground. That means this can be used in almost every type of headlight system. You can also steady burn one and flash the other or open a gun lock with one and sound a buzzer with the other. The possibilities are endless. The entry method is simple; Hold down the program button and press the the other buttons in the sequence you want. Release the program button when you are done.

I have pictures below and ERM has a good demo video linked below. I tried some basic flash patterns as well as steady burn combos. I also did an extended test of eight hours with one flashing and one steady burning without failure. Of course I also ran the unit as it was intended for several hours with both heads flashing. I never mounted it in a vehicle as it would take too long to accumulate enough usage to test it. Because it's designed for external mounting, the unit was left outside for the entire review process (7 days with rain) without incident. No overheating, failures or signs of fatigue were noted.

Durability of Construction: This is a heavy duty unit. It is potted in ABS or a similar material. The wires are of appropriate gauge, tightly woven and easily flexed. These wires are clearly automotive or better grade. The buttons feel very similar to the ones on the front of some sirens, although I am told they are water resistant. The unit feels appropriately weighted and the relays are rated for the claimed capabilities. The seating of the relays is tight and the forming of the potted material is without any imperfections. This product appears of professional construction from every angle I examined it.

Score: 9

Performance: For my testing, I used Whelen Maxbeam dual halogen lights from the 1980s. I used a discontinued product so that the focus is on the flasher, not the lights. These dual bulb lamps draw 5-8 amps each. When used within the specifications, the unit did not become overly hot. There were no failures to report. ERM demands fuses or circuit protection and the unit was fully protected with these in place as described.

Score: 9

Innovation: This is the first flasher I have seen where you can program your own pattern so easily. The entry method is simple and button based, no cables or wifi required. In this case keeping it simple is innovative.

Score: 8

Ease of Use: I will disclaim this section by saying anyone installing a headlight flasher needs some basic skills before attempting such an install. It would be foolish to assume that such a product would be able to be picked up by an end user with no training and installed correctly. The only notable areas for improvement that I found were related to color coding and product labeling. The way the device works is by completing a circuit in one of two ways. The device either grounds or powers a circuit. When using the device with 12v positive switching, this involves hooking 12v positive to the relays via two black wires. I would have preferred that these wires be blue or any color other than black. The manufacturer already exhausted yellow, orange, green, red and yellow/green stripes. My feeling is black wires should not be positive under any circumstances in a build like this. The other suggestion I have is to provide the wire color list on the back of the flasher. There is a label there, but it doesn't have the color codes. I also think there should be a more obvious disclaimer on the product about what speed and duration of flash is or is not SAE, NFPA and KKK complaint. On the up side, the instructions provided both in paper and online were actually quite usable for someone of the ability level required to install a headlight flasher. I felt like they were aimed towards the advanced end user or basic installer, which is appropriate.

Score: 7

Features: The unit promises a headlight flasher and delivers that and more. There are override wires for several different headlight setups. This can easily be adapted to multiple switching types. In addition to a very adaptable headlight flasher, you also get a programmable relay set that does so much more than flash headlights. My only suggestion is to offer a four relay model or a higher amp model for people wanting to really take the extra step and use these for running a full setup. Other than that, it does what it is supposed to, which is pretty specific and therefore it's hard for it to lack features.

Price: The unit retails at around $50, which is in line with major brand limited programmable flashers from major companies. I would pay up to ten dollars more to have better on product labeling, but I would wager I am the minority there.

Overall: This is a solidly constructed product that functions as intended for a reasonable price. There are endless possibilities for innumerable potential users across the automotive, emergency and other industries.

Durability of Construction: 9

Performance: 9

Innovation: 8

Ease of Use: 7

Features: 8

Price: 8

Over all: 8 Solid, Innovative, Easy to use

Key 1-Unusable, 5-Average, 10-Perfect

Links:

Manual http://www.ermproducts.net/manuals/DPIF01.pdf

Website / Webstore ERM's Programmable Products

eLightbars Thread http://elightbars.org/forums/f36/erms-programmable-flashers-37044/

erm1.jpg

erm2.jpg

erm3.jpg

Pictures by John Marcson

Video by ERM

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.