Evolution Of The Federal Vitalite

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6305519.JPG S6305520.JPG S6305521.JPG S6305522.JPG The Vitalite was introduced in late 1961 or early 1962.

I just latched on to a first version 6 Volt Vitalite. It used the same plastic based socket as was used in the original version Flash Ball, and had a slightly different cut to the reflector. Pictures 1-4.

Next is the most well known second version with the newly designed all metal socket, and new cut to the reflector.

Third is the last version, with a base down bulb, (no more hanging socket), and a tension wheel holding the drive disc on to the motor shaft so bumps and out of level would not affect rotation of the reflector. The light pictured had the new H1 55 Watt Halogen bulb, but this third version Vitalite was also available with the same incandescent 1195 50cp bulb as its predecessors.

This post only covers the DC / automotive versions of the Vitalite. There are also some AC versions of this light, not covered in this post

Last edited:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
You're right. Am I wrong?

The newest versions are 121A, and 121AH also. Is the plastic base socket an older version, or an anomaly? This is the first I've ever seen.

Note; This light with the black plastic socket is in fact the first version Vitalite. Soon after, the metal socket version came out.

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The "A" has nothing to do with plastic or metal sockets.

121 = Magnetic mount

121A = Permanent mount

121H = Halogen bulb, magnetic mount

121AH = Halogen bulb, permanent mount

121S = 120 VAC

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Nice 121's with the split dome and the eye shield. I never really pictured the 121 as a dashboard light. The height and shape of the FireBall makes it a nice dashboard light, but I felt that the 121 was a bit tall for such placement in most vehicles.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
My first ever light was a Vitalight. PA had a law back then that no blue could show to the rear, so I taped off the back side of the dome and sprayed it black. It had those 3 little magnets on the bottom. Lost it going to call one night when it belw off my roof and was seen dancing along side the car...which took a few dings, not making my Old Man real happy (he was driving since I didn't have a license yet, so i blame him for exceeding the speed limit). There's a post in the Fireball thread about losing lights!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
stansdds said:
Nice 121's with the split dome and the eye shield. I never really pictured the 121 as a dashboard light. The height and shape of the FireBall makes it a nice dashboard light, but I felt that the 121 was a bit tall for such placement in most vehicles.

Back in the 1960s the dashes of most cars could accommodate the Vitalite. Most had at least partially metal surfaces to accept the magnets too. You're right though, the Fire Ball was always a better fit.

charliefox

May 28, 2010
Burlington WA
My first exposure to the VitaLite was on the old show The Streets of San Francisco. I always wondered how the light stayed on the roof at speed over those hills:)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Nice thread, Dan. I bought an original blue 121 c. 1970, not too long before the big tornado that hit Lubbock on May 11, 1970 (43 years next month). I had originally used the light in my 1963 Valiant that doubled as the mobile news unit for the radio station I worked for. I also had amber grille lights and red deck lights on the car. Amber and blue to the front were permissible then, but had to have red to the back. I got a lot of good use out of that light until the night of the tornado. When the dust cleared from the storm, I made a bee-line to a friend's place who was an ambulance dealer. It just so-happened that night that he had a 1964 Olds station wagon ambulance sitting at his place, along with a '66 Olds hearse/ambulance combination. When I got there, he tossed me the keys to the ambulance. I let him have the Vitalite to put on the big Oldsmobile and he followed me arund all over the parts of Lubbock that were hit hardest by the storm. We eventually got separated, and when I caught up to him a few hours later, I didn't see the Vitalite sitting on top of the Oldsmobile. He apologized, saying that the light got hit by a low-hanging tree limb that he had passed under. He later replaced the light with a Trippe MV2 light.

In 1980 I ran across a pair of upgraded red and blue Vitalites. These were 121Hs and had the upgraded magnets. These were nice lights, and by that time I was working with a small VFD in our county, so they got a good workout.

You always come up with the neatest lights, Dan!

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
This was my mother's first Uk Doctors light. It was magnetic green and now I remember that the bulb was upside down. It may still be around in her garage!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Here is a RARE Federal Sign And Signal Vitalite / Rebadged as a Dietz 245 Motorcycle light factory mounted on a Federal extendable telescoping pole. This is the same pole mount used on the Harley Davidson Cycle Signal / Fire Ball Motorcycle light (See Federal FIRE BALL Family thread)

Here are some before pictures, and more to come after the refurb project is complete.

$T2eC16FHJHIFFh,9Y5VCBRgGpK0LCQ~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16dHJIIE9qTYLiHrBRgGpNnSz!~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqJHJEMFF),9F5n(BRgGpBTdS!~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqQOKpMFFy4,2Fp5BRgGpGBgog~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16ZHJGEFFmlf4!yJBRgGpIY-zg~~60_57.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Here's a beautiful Vitalite 121S 120 Volt.

The light is NOS with original box.

I installed a perfect 1960s vintage Deep Ruby Red dome, and a cord and plug, and rubber feet on the bottom for shelf or table mounting.

S6303617.jpg

S6303618.jpg

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I know this isn't the place for it, but I wanted to let Vitalite fans know of a brand new (not mine) Vitalite for sale in the Chicago area. The light has a clear lens. It's been on CL for ages, so the seller may be willing to ship. He's asking for $8.

Mars Light Rotating Beacon Light

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
Skip Goulet said:
Now that's a neat feat.....that light didn't move at all when the car took that big bounce! I'd like to see the magnets.

it also magically moved from the center to just over the passenger side and back

no steady red

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
kitn1mcc said:
it also magically moved from the center to just over the passenger side and back

no steady red

Given the three small magnets on those early Vitalites, I can see how it would slide around the roof, but I doubt it would stay put with the car bouncing over hills!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
kitn1mcc said:

no steady red

It's also called not remembering where they put the light between one take and another! That's Hollywood for you.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Skip Goulet said:
Now that's a neat feat.....that light didn't move at all when the car took that big bounce! I'd like to see the magnets.

It's also pretty interesting how Karl Malden barely reaches out the window to put the light on the roof, yet he seems to have placed it on the center of the roof...he must have verrrry long wrists.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
I purchased my first red rotating beacon in 1970 - a Federal Vitalite. The price was $24. Just like the Fireball I obtained later, the magnet mount also had a small keyhole L-bracket. You placed a small set screw in the middle of the roof, or the light would slide - why a lot of folks just used them as dash lights. My 1964 Olds allowed me to place the Vitalite on the dash, and it came with a grey flashback cover. When I started collecting lights in 2008, getting a red Vitalite was my goal, and I have added it to my collection.

My collection represents lights that I have either used as rooflights on my POV or agency vehicles for the last forty years. Or some that I wanted to use, like a red and white magnet mount Model 14. My personal favorites were my Fireball, then the FB 3, an SVP, and then the Vitalite. My least favorite was the SVP pancake light, which was friction drive- The domes melted in our hot summers while displayed on the dashboard of our 1980's Ford LTD wagons. While I have Whelen Responder II LED and a Sentry, I don't use those except for funerals. My "carry" light is a SVP teardrop with a halogen bulb.

But as a stationery light, the Vitalite was a fine choice way back when . . .

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
tnems7 said:
I purchased my first red rotating beacon in 1970 - a Federal Vitalite. The price was $24. Just like the Fireball I obtained later, the magnet mount also had a small keyhole L-bracket. You placed a small set screw in the middle of the roof, or the light would slide - why a lot of folks just used them as dash lights. My 1964 Olds allowed me to place the Vitalite on the dash, and it came with a grey flashback cover. When I started collecting lights in 2008, getting a red Vitalite was my goal, and I have added it to my collection.

My collection represents lights that I have either used as rooflights on my POV or agency vehicles for the last forty years. Or some that I wanted to use, like a red and white magnet mount Model 14. My personal favorites were my Fireball, then the FB 3, an SVP, and then the Vitalite. My least favorite was the SVP pancake light, which was friction drive- The domes melted in our hot summers while displayed on the dashboard of our 1980's Ford LTD wagons. While I have Whelen Responder II LED and a Sentry, I don't use those except for funerals. My "carry" light is a SVP teardrop with a halogen bulb.

But as a stationery light, the Vitalite was a fine choice way back when . . .

The Junior beacons also came with that same keyhole bracket for use with a sheet metal screw in the roof. In 1958 when Ellis Funeral Home here realized that they actually needed more than one ambulance, they put a 1958 Chrysler New Yorker wagon into service as their #2 unit. Their first out, a 1959 Ford wagon had a 17 on the roof and a B&M underhood. Their old ambulance had the siren fender-mounted, but the '59 Fords had no fenders, so the siren went underhood. Newnie Ellis didn't like roof-mount sirens at all. The last one they used was a Federal 78 lighted Doubletone on top of their 1948 Chevy panel. So on the Chrysler they went with the Model 15 Junior because the only hole they had to drill was for the set screw. They wanted to go underhood with the B&M siren, but that big Chrysler engine didn't allow them any room, so out on the right fender it went. As plain-jane as it was, that Chrysler was my favorite of the four ambulances then in Midland. Thomas Funeral Home, Ellis' competition (and the only competitor that has survived all these years), had some spectacular-looking ambulances, and theirs were the first use roof-mounted Qs; but I still loved that Chrysler wagon. But the problem Ellis had with the Junior beacon on the Chrysler was that set-screw just didn't keep the light on top at highway speeds, or anything over 55 mph or so. They lost that light off the top on more than occasion, with the last one almost destroying the poor light. They had to send it back to Federal for repairs. And would you believe it, they ran that Chrysler on emergencies with nothing more than the headlights on bright and running the big B&M. In 1960, the Chrysler was traded for a brand-new 1961 Chevy Apache panel truck, which would be setup to handle four stretcher patients...something way before its time. The 17 beacon came off the Ford wagon and went on the new panel, and a pair of single-faced red Unit lights went on each side of the beacon. The B&M siren from the Chrysler went underhood on the panel, and the Junior Beacon from the Chrysler went on the Ford wagon; but this time they roof-mounted it, and that worked! But talk about a game of mix and match! :p

That Ford would be the first ambulance that I ever got to drive Code 3. That was only three days after the Ford had become second out ambulance, and it was quite by accident since I had just turned 15 at the time. What a trip!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Thanks for this thread.  I found a Vitalite 121 B1 today in a junk shop. Paid $10 for it.  Needs a little TLC. I wasn't real excited by the find at first,   but have more appreciation for it after reading these posts.  It is a type 3. Any guess on timeliness for the various type changes: 1, 2 and 3?  This one has the post 76 FS symbol on it. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.