Excalibur MX7000 Lightbar wiring questions

Toasted

Jan 27, 2020
PA
Hi all I tried finding the answers through other threads but i'm still a bit confused. The lightbar has 11 wires, one big one which I know is ground and 5 colored pairs. The pairs consist of one solid color and one with black dashes, are they all positives or do the black dashes signify ground? Also I'm going to use a battery charger to test it, should I use a fuse? If so what amp? The circuit boards inside make me nervous don't wanna fry anything. Thanks!

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
The 5 pairs of wires are all positive.
Reds control outer rotators (all 4)
Blues can be center rotator (or speaker wires if center non rotator section)
White/black is sweeps
Plain white is ?? (I forget)
Amber with black is for takedowns
Solid amber ?? (Brain fart)
Yellows are alleys

If wiring has green, those are for strobes

Toasted

Jan 27, 2020
PA
The 5 pairs of wires are all positive.
Reds control outer rotators (all 4)
Blues can be center rotator (or speaker wires if center non rotator section)
White/black is sweeps
Plain white is ?? (I forget)
Amber with black is for takedowns
Solid amber ?? (Brain fart)
Yellows are alleys

If wiring has green, those are for strobes

Thank you very much for the info, I greatly appreciate it. Should I put a fuse between the charger and it when testing? Thanks!

Last edited:
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
When testing (short bursts to identify wiring) it is typically ok to not run a fuse. If holding the wires to the battery with just the pressure of your hand they will likely get warm/hot fast. If you are hardwiring I would use a fuse. If the wires get hot or you get a hot/burning smell, remove power rite away.

Reactions: Toasted

Toasted

Jan 27, 2020
PA
When testing (short bursts to identify wiring) it is typically ok to not run a fuse. If holding the wires to the battery with just the pressure of your hand they will likely get warm/hot fast. If you are hardwiring I would use a fuse. If the wires get hot or you get a hot/burning smell, remove power rite away.
Thank you very much. I'm just testing it to sell. Thankfully all went well :)

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I would advise against using a battery charger. It can damage any electronics in the bar. I would highly suggest a battery.

OK my DUH. I just read you tested it already. In the future try not to use a battery charger. Especially on strobes or LED's

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.