Exhaust Fume / CO2 Removal

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
My agency is using a retired Horton Ambulance (Ford E350) as a mobile command vehicle and occasionally as a rehab vehicle. One of the issues I'm finding is that while parked on a scene, most of the doors are open more than they are closed, which ultimately brings an excess of diesel exhaust into the compartment. The exhaust pipe is on the curb side which is the near the side door used to access the command area. When a back door or outside compartment is also open, the fumes are circulated through the unit.

I know there are exhaust removal systems powered by a fan for use in stations and ambulance bays, but am not finding a suitable hose to extend the exhaust outlet away from the unit when parked. All of the hoses I am finding state that they must be used with a fan due to the temperature rating of the hose. Anyone know of a suitable hose or exhaust removal system for field use? Typically the unit is parked long term at an incident, so running a temporary hose to extend the exhaust away from the unit shouldn't be a problem. If I can't find a suitable hose, i'm thinking of building some type of portable fixture using an appropriate exhaust connector and double walled chimney pipe to get the exhasqust above the roof line while parked at a scene.

Anyone else had to devise a sloution for this?

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
Just make a "smoke stack" like on semi trucks that extends above the roofline to whatever height you want and use an exhaust clamp to hold it on when in use, and loosen the clamp to take it off for stowage . Too simple?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Grotonems5 said:
Just make a "smoke stack" like on semi trucks that extends above the roofline to whatever height you want and use an exhaust clamp to hold it on when in use, and loosen the clamp to take it off for stowage . Too simple?

This is the idea that popped into my head...

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Grotonems5 said:

Considered that but may have been over-thinking how it would need to be mounted. The other concern was it being in the way of a compartment door.

Since the original post I found some crushproof flexible hose that looks like it will meet the high temperature requirements. It is specifically rated for desel vehicles being serviced and idling for extended periods. That would be easiest since I can run it out the side, behind the unit or up to the roofline and route it as needed depending on where we are setup. When finished, it will roll up and stow in an exterior compartment.

Thanks for the replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.