Ext LED wiring/mounting question

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have three TIR6 lightheads for rear use. The last vehicle they were mounted internally but the rear window was not tinted. I remounted them inside a new vehicle but the tint really cuts the light output. I am considering mounting them externally to the bottom of the roof rack crossbar. They would be relatively discreet and have terrific rear view coverage.

My main concern is moisture/salt. Since the lights will be facing the rear, the rear of the lights will be getting the full force of the elements.

The only idea I can think of is to use a square tube to mount the lights to. Not crazy about it but obviously an L bracket wont cut it.

These are weatherized and I do have the gaskets, just seeking ideas of how you might mount to keep the weather out. Mounting them to the body is not an option, the crossbar is where they will go if externally.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I wouldn’t worry about it. The L bracket will provide some shielding, and the gasket is more cosmetic than functional, anyway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.