fd in process of switching from low band to high band

mikemardin

Aug 13, 2022
CT
my fd is in the process of switching from low band to p25 digital high band ( 763 - 870 mhz), in looking for options for portable scanners or mobile scanners. I'm looking low cost options as I'm in a one income situation and would like to get a couple for home and car. thanks for any help, it is truly appreciated

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
So depending on what type of p25 7/800 system they’re going to, you very well maybe cheaper to get second hand 7/800 two way radios such as the xts-5000 if you’re doing a phase I system…

If you can advise on what system you’re migrating to, I can tell you whether a xts-5000 maybe a option.

Seth

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Technically, a 700/800 <MHz system is not "high band" just so you don't get too confused.

Using actually 800 MHz 2-way radios require that they be registered on the the system, which may have additional costs.

800 MHz trunking scanners are expensive as noted above. They are also very complicated. If you're only looking to hear yours and local departments, I'd recommend the Unication G5 pager. It is ruggedized, simple to operate and user pre-programable (with a computer). Your radio repaid tech can build the initial profile and you cn copy it to additional pagers. If your radio system is capable, it can be used for paging as well, even trunked systems. About $500-600 and super easy to use.

Reactions: fp13-2

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Bill is absolutely correct about an xts-5000 needing to be registered with the system and having a radio ID allocated.

The Unication is a great tool with a lot of capabilities that doesn’t require a radio id allocated from the system.

The OP is looking for low cost options, which a xts-5000 or xg-75 can fall into as long as you can get them programmed correctly. I don’t advocate for anything outside of the legitimate usage of the devices.

If the FD is just in process of going to this new system, likely they got assigned a block of IDs and hopefully the OP could get a RID or two allocated to him. IDK the system or circumstances.

I recently picked up a XG-75 7/800 with TDMA for 125.00. As long as you can get them programmed corectly and legitimately, a much more cost effective option to the Unication or most scanners with better receive quality.

Seth

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
The problem with Motorola stuff is that you need to either have a tech program them, or spend the money to get their software and programming setup.

HOWEVER, Ma Batwings allows free distribution of the programming software for orphaned radio series. This means that, depending on the FD setup, you MIGHT be able to get an Astro Saber (handie talkie) to listen in. The radios run in the $100 range. You will also need a RIB programming box, generics of these run under $35 and the adapter cable can be found for under $50. Thus, a complete setup (radio, battery, charger, RIB, cable and software) might be under $200. You can program any channel to not transmit, the radio will scan, and these are great units, even though they date back to the 1990s.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
HOWEVER, Ma Batwings allows free distribution of the programming software for orphaned radio series.

This is a fantastic development! In fact, it's something we have been waiting on for decades. Could you start a new thread to share what you know, please?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.