FDNY Batt Chief using Highway Riser Bar

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Won't lie, kinda lame video. Before I clicked I half expected to see the truck running code with the bars extended.. Which would be awesome. (and excellent forward warning)

hoj1192

Nov 8, 2011
NYC,NY
All the years fdny had those on the excursions Thats the first time i ever saw those being put to use, atleast one person in the department knows how to use them

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
unlisted said:
Won't lie, kinda lame video. Before I clicked I half expected to see the truck running code with the bars extended.. Which would be awesome. (and excellent forward warning)

I was thinking the same and kept waiting.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
In 23 years of living in manhattan, I can honestly say that this is the first time I've ever seen them in use by a FDNY batt chief or EMS supervisor. However, I bet most of them (on the remaining excursions that are still 10-8) don't work, due to lack of use & WD40 for 10+ years

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Probably a EMS Supervisor. I too watched the video only looking at the GMC Chief's Car and I'm like that's not a Hi'Rise Bar...

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
pdk9 said:
In 23 years of living in manhattan, I can honestly say that this is the first time I've ever seen them in use by a FDNY batt chief or EMS supervisor. However, I bet most of them (on the remaining excursions that are still 10-8) don't work, due to lack of use & WD40 for 10+ years

I can count on 1, maybe 2 hands the number of times I've seen the FDNY Bat Chief cars raise the Risers since they were first installed in the late 80s/early 90s.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
I wasn't that impressed by the video either. However, back in 1975, I took a youth group from greater Boston on a bus trip to Washington, D.C.

I believe that we were in either Maryland or Delaware, where the State Police had their emergency lights on a scissor-type lift. We first saw the lights from a decent distance away and couldn't figure out what they were. As we approached, they remained "high" and I couldn't understand how. Then, as we got closer to the scene, I saw the lift for the first time.

Does anyone know if, besides the semi-example from NYC, anyone still uses rising lights?

Steve

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
DalmatProd said:
I wasn't that impressed by the video either. However, back in 1975, I took a youth group from greater Boston on a bus trip to Washington, D.C.
I believe that we were in either Maryland or Delaware, where the State Police had their emergency lights on a scissor-type lift. We first saw the lights from a decent distance away and couldn't figure out what they were. As we approached, they remained "high" and I couldn't understand how. Then, as we got closer to the scene, I saw the lift for the first time.

Does anyone know if, besides the semi-example from NYC, anyone still uses rising lights?

Steve

Somewhere, in one of the threads here there was a picture of one of those MD State Police Cars with that rising bar on it. I grew up there and never saw one, but I recall hearing that it was a test of some kind and only a few cars had them for a trial period. They never went fleet wide with them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.