fdny dodge ambulance

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
charlie82 said:
Also, I wonder why they did halogen scene lights when everything else is LED.

Personally, I prefer halogen to LED, but that's just me.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
For the longest time dodge truck frames were not strong enough to put a box or platform on. If you think back, you didn't see many dodge ram flatbed wreckers, ambulances, or stake bed trucks. But they would pull a goose neck better than the rest. This started back in the 90's with the big rig look and frame.

All 3 truck manufactures meet emissions with def tanks and burners on all 2010 and up.

yakomo

Jun 8, 2010
NY
VolEms said:
Any pics of the console. Do they still use the Fed Sig PA400.

I have not seen the new FDNY bus, but the siren they currently use the FedSig PA4000 FDNY version.

Last edited by a moderator:

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I think the FDNY PA400 has the worst Yelp. It looks like they are willing to change companies. The ambulances went from Horton to Wheeled Coach and the Rescues and Ladders to Farrera.

Last edited by a moderator:

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
I dont understand why Vol EMS dont just put the blue lights in. Who's going to stop you? The Police are the only ones empowered to enforce the VTL and no cop is gonna give a summons to EMS. Even if they did, its still falls under an equipment violation, which is a small fine and no points. In NYC some of the Transit "express" buses have forward and rearward facing blue flashing leds. Even after the DOT said they arent supposed too, no one has done a thing about it or ever will. Yonkers Police have had rearward AND forward facing blue lights for decades. No one stops them either. Just put them on your rigs. Its your safety and the legal risk is really minimal.

ac316scu

Nov 18, 2010
Westchester NY
one11sgt said:
I dont understand why Vol EMS dont just put the blue lights in. Who's going to stop you? The Police are the only ones empowered to enforce the VTL and no cop is gonna give a summons to EMS. Even if they did, its still falls under an equipment violation, which is a small fine and no points. In NYC some of the Transit "express" buses have forward and rearward facing blue flashing leds. Even after the DOT said they arent supposed too, no one has done a thing about it or ever will. Yonkers Police have had rearward AND forward facing blue lights for decades. No one stops them either. Just put them on your rigs. Its your safety and the legal risk is really minimal.

I'm kinda speechless about that post. But EMS is now allowed to use blue to the rear in NYS. And I believe the light color restriction is different in NYC since the population is over a certain number, which is why they can run the blue lights on the buses.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
ac316scu said:
I'm kinda speechless about that post. But EMS is now allowed to use blue to the rear in NYS. And I believe the light color restriction is different in NYC since the population is over a certain number, which is why they can run the blue lights on the buses.

Well I don't know why your speechless, but I am an LEO and I can tell you, there are no exceptions to the law for cities based on population. The buses are not allowed to have blue lights on them, however, as I said, no one is going to summons a bus driver for them, As no one is going to summons an ambulance driver.

Bright blue beacons on express bus lines may violate state law - New York Daily News

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Couple things I hate, all colored lenses except the front lightbar, either all clear or all colored. Also the gray plastic under the front bumper and above the wheel well's needs to be painted.. Badly.

rlsllc

Dec 2, 2011
USA/Ohio
LED said:
Couple things I hate, all colored lenses except the front lightbar, either all clear or all colored. Also the gray plastic under the front bumper and above the wheel well's needs to be painted.. Badly.

I knew something didn't look right...you nailed it. Right on all accounts. I'd like to see something different with the wheels myself, maybe chrome sims or painted red.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Anyone know why they went with M-Series lights on the ambulances but still use 5MM lights on the fire apparatus?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i don't know, but the M-series lights that they use for S/T/T & Warn on the rear, are also 5mm

384729_328489640509535_100000455066466_1237319_260570871_n.jpg

yakomo

Jun 8, 2010
NY
philyumpshus said:
Anyone know why they went with M-Series lights on the ambulances but still use 5MM lights on the fire apparatus?

I dont no why they still did not switch to the M- series but they recently upgraded to the 600 series Super-Leds on the Ferrara 100’ Rear Mount Aerial

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I like the total lack of split-flash-fail! Also, the blue looks wrong to me on FDNY..... oh well

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
JohnMarcson said:
I like the total lack of split-flash-fail! Also, the blue looks wrong to me on FDNY..... oh well

that blue really POPS when they're on. looks really good IMO, none to the front or sides, only to the rear. PERFECT

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
ff168577 said:
They look like Whelen os clearance marker lights.

No that was the first one I looked at, OS is square 4-LED that is flush with the mounting bezel. These look to be a 2-LED and the lense seems to protrude from the bezel.

On another note, I noticed that some of these units have a vertex behind the front turn/marker light, some do not.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
Anyone know what year the chassis are? I didn't see the DEF fill between the cab and the box. Also, any idea on the dimensions of the interior?

Our Dodge (while not an extended cab or whatever the FDNY rigs use) have it between the cab and the box. This leaves a 6" gap for this stupid thing.

7306d1319308030t-2011-dodge-ram-life-line-ambulance-207632_1976346252192_1349186058_2274508_4251889_n.jpg

Hopefully they'll figure out a way to relocate the fill (slightly) so the cab can be right against the box. I'll take every inch I can to make this thing shorter, lengthwise...

ems60

May 22, 2010
USA / MA/ Cape Cod
Does it have two fuel tanks or is that for a "clean diesel fluid" I see a fill behind the "e" on ambulance, but you would think they could have done a better job on design.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I'm not a dodge expert but a buddy of mine bought a 2012 with the cummins and his truck does not require the diesel exhaust fluid, apparently it met emissions with out, now I don't know if that applies to just civilian class trucks, or if commercial chassis also. ?

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
ems60 said:
Does it have two fuel tanks or is that for a "clean diesel fluid" I see a fill behind the "e" on ambulance, but you would think they could have done a better job on design.

The fuel goes next to the "E". Between the cab and box is the DEF fill.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
Shawn L said:
I'm not a dodge expert but a buddy of mine bought a 2012 with the cummins and his truck does not require the diesel exhaust fluid, apparently it met emissions with out, now I don't know if that applies to just civilian class trucks, or if commercial chassis also. ?

I'm not an expert either. This is a 4500 chassis. Maybe his has a smaller motor that doesn't need it?

Could also explain why I don't see it on the FDNY rig.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.