FDNY Squad 18 Blue rotators

BUFFaLOT

Sep 24, 2010
Long Island, NY
stansdds said:
Ugh. More blue on fire/EMS vehicles. :hopeless:

If you don't like it follow these simple steps:

1. Move to New York.

2. Petition your state senator and assemblyman to change the VTL back to not allow blue on fire/ems but keep the new provision for PD.

Or,

3. Make blue a less visible color.

They put it on there because blue is more visible than red and amber. Sorry if the safety of their members offends your personal feelings on a color.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Blue is more visible at night, but not during the day.

And I am all for safety, let's not make any mistake about that.

Given the behavior of drivers I've seen, the only way to move traffic these days would be with a large plow.

BUFFaLOT

Sep 24, 2010
Long Island, NY
stansdds said:
And I am all for safety, let's not make any mistake about that.

Given the behavior of drivers I've seen, the only way to move traffic these days would be with a large plow.

At least we agree on that. Btw, can I drive the plow?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
BUFFaLOT said:
At least we agree on that. Btw, can I drive the plow?

Only if you promise to not put a blue light on it! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
stansdds said:
Ugh. More blue on fire/EMS vehicles. :hopeless:

On FDNY no less... makes me sad. I understand blue is slightly more visible under some conditions than red... but with the current brightness of modern LEDs I think the benefit of specific colors is over stated. I have no scientific study to back this, only my experience seeing Ohio state vehicles. The blue strobes showed up better at night for sure than the red. The new code 3 LED bars in all blue and all red (Motor Carrier vs Patrol) seem very similar to me in distance of detection and intensity. I think size and pattern are far more important than color.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Travelin Man said:
All of the new FDNY Ferrara rescues and ladders are being delivered with blue to rear as well. I don't see what the uproar is, personally.

Just sad to see old light traditions die. In actual practice it makes little difference.

Harbor Patrol

May 22, 2010
NY
JohnMarcson said:
On FDNY no less... makes me sad. I understand blue is slightly more visible under some conditions than red... but with the current brightness of modern LEDs I think the benefit of specific colors is over stated. I have no scientific study to back this, only my experience seeing Ohio state vehicles. The blue strobes showed up better at night for sure than the red. The new code 3 LED bars in all blue and all red (Motor Carrier vs Patrol) seem very similar to me in distance of detection and intensity. I think size and pattern are far more important than color.

i dont believe its a matter of "brightness" regarding color, i think the research showed that certain colors draw the eye to it, causing drivers to be distracted and loose focus of the road, like white, where amber and blue get the drivers attention while not distracting the brain allowing them to stay focused on the road. i believe this was a research article i read from AAA in the past.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Harbor Patrol said:
i dont believe its a matter of "brightness" regarding color, i think the research showed that certain colors draw the eye to it, causing drivers to be distracted and loose focus of the road, like white, where amber and blue get the drivers attention while not distracting the brain allowing them to stay focused on the road. i believe this was a research article i read from AAA in the past.

What ever the actual terminology behind it, I think it matters less now than it used to.... white is always a no no to the rear in my book because it's blinding... as far as getting drivers to notice red over blue with modern LEDs.... I would guess it's less of an issue than it used to be. I could be wrong.. I just don't have trouble seeing red at night on the side of the road like I used to... and my eyes aren't getting any better.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
BUFFaLOT said:
If you don't like it follow these simple steps:

1. Move to New York.

2. Petition your state senator and assemblyman to change the VTL back to not allow blue on fire/ems but keep the new provision for PD.

Or,

3. Make blue a less visible color.

They put it on there because blue is more visible than red and amber. Sorry if the safety of their members offends your personal feelings on a color.

Option 2a) Petition your State Senator and Assemblyman to change the VTL to give volunteers with blue full Emergency Vehicle status, or, let volunteers run RL&S.

I like that option better! Blue light = Courtesy Light = Another old tradition that NEEDS to die/get with the times...

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
Rusted413 said:
Looked like there was at least one blue rotor up front to - you can see it flash at the very beginning of the video.

Many NY police units are now putting blue to the front. First time I have seen it on any firetruck in the state of NY though.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
chono said:
Many NY police units are now putting blue to the front. First time I have seen it on any firetruck in the state of NY though.

Some fire departments have it to the front as well. Yonkers FD has a couple and I think various Nassau and Suffolk County apparatus.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
JohnMarcson said:
white is always a no no to the rear in my book because it's blinding...

I think that used to be the case with strobe, halogen and incandescent, where filters were used to achieve the desired color(s). However, LED is, as you well know, a whole different animal. White LEDs are created by modifying blue LEDs. I've found red and blue LEDs to be brighter than white (comparing warning lamps to warning lights, not scene lights).

Many emergency vehicles around here use either hide-a-ways (usually strobe, but there are some LEDs) or brake/back-up flashers, and I don't think there have been any problems with the white lights being too bright.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Doug said:
I think that used to be the case with strobe, halogen and incandescent, where filters were used to achieve the desired color(s). However, LED is, as you well know, a whole different animal. White LEDs are created by modifying blue LEDs. I've found red and blue LEDs to be brighter than white (comparing warning lamps to warning lights, not scene lights).

Many emergency vehicles around here use either hide-a-ways (usually strobe, but there are some LEDs) or brake/back-up flashers, and I don't think there have been any problems with the white lights being too bright.

I am in the process of removing the white LEDs from the back of our command vehicle because they are blinding and distracting. Not as bad as strobes.... but still distracting, noticeably more so than the red next to it. Next to the red they were much more distracting. They will become amber or red.

SC-SPCA

Feb 1, 2012
New York
It kinda bugs me that some many agencies are willing to ingnore the VTL in regards to blue forward facing lights, it is quite clear that only vollie fire gets forward blue...

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
JohnMarcson said:
I am in the process of removing the white LEDs from the back of our command vehicle because they are blinding and distracting. Not as bad as strobes.... but still distracting, noticeably more so than the red next to it. Next to the red they were much more distracting. They will become amber or red.

Why don't u make it like fire trucks that the whit turns off while in park. U can save money and still be bright while responding.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
I like how blue is only for police in Ohio. I hate when the pa volunteer firefighters come in to Ohio with their blue lights. You should be able to tell who's on scene by the color of the lights. wish there was a nation wide standard.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
I wouldn't worry much about this rig anyway. All Fdny squads are getting new rigs, so they will not have the option of adding blue to the front.

hotelmedicis

Mar 10, 2012
New York, USA
stansdds said:
Blue is more visible at night, but not during the day.

Most people are unaware that there is a significant amount of research that has gone into understanding which colors are most visible during the day, night and in which age group. Whether it's on Youtube or on a forum like this one I'm constantly running across comments which say that such and such a color is better than such and such a color because of xyz. In fact, most people are clueless. Most people talking about red, blue, amber or clear lights have absolutely no idea about which color is the most visible during the day, the night, in the city, in the county, for an old person or for a young person. If anyone would like to finally have a clear understanding of this question, keep reading.

A study done in 2008 called the "Effects of Warning Lamp Color and Intensity on Driver Vision" was conducted at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute in Ann Arbor and was underwritten by the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the United States Fire Administration and the US Department of Justice. The 54 page study revealed that blue was the most conspicuous color day or night and in any age group. The report strongly recommended that emergency services throughout the USA begin to put blue on all vehicles.

This is what is now happening with FDNY.

We can all speculate about which colors are most visible and I'm sure that we all have our preferences based upon which cop shows we watch on TV or upon the colors used in our own state or country, but the fact remains that if we are just saying that such and such a color is safer or better than another color when in fact we are totally clueless regarding current research, then we are just making everything up and it's meaningless. And it shows.

The report that I mentioned above is available in PDF format on the internet and I highly recommend it to anyone who is truly interested in understanding the question of color and conspicuousness and why blue is now coming into fashion for some emergency services which never used it before.

Concerning FDNY Squad 18's front blue rotator, it is, to my knowledge the only FDNY apparatus with a forward facing blue light. This is just the beginning. I am confident that someday, perhaps not this year or next year, perhaps not even in 10 years, but someday all FDNY apparatus will be equipped with not only rear blue lights but forward facing blue lights as well.

I'll soon be posting more videos of FDNY Squad 18 and its forward-facing blue rotator! ;-)

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
hotelmedicis said:
A study done in 2008 called the "Effects of Warning Lamp Color and Intensity on Driver Vision" was conducted at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute in Ann Arbor and was underwritten by the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the United States Fire Administration and the US Department of Justice. The 54 page study revealed that blue was the most conspicuous color day or night and in any age group. The report strongly recommended that emergency services throughout the USA begin to put blue on all vehicles.

Since the poster failed to provide a link to said study, a 0.37 second Google search yielded...

http://www.sae.org/standardsdev/tsb/cooperative/warninglamp0810.pdf

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Thanks for the link and I'll read the study, but it was underwritten by DHS and FEMA? I'm not going to say what I'm thinking, this isn't the proper forum. :-x

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
Red (even flashing) doesn't stand out well against a sea of red tail lights and stoplights---which is a common sight in NY.

I notice that most of the people who get butt hurt about NY apparatus running blue to the rear are people from "blue for police, red for fire" states---which is a retarded premise, IMO.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
C420sailor said:
Red (even flashing) doesn't stand out well against a sea of red tail lights and stoplights---which is a common sight in NY.

I notice that most of the people who get butt hurt about NY apparatus running blue to the rear are people from "blue for police, red for fire" states---which is a retarded premise, IMO.

You have my sincerest apologies for expressing an opinion based on a retarded premise. It shall not happen again.

squad511

Oct 4, 2010
here
Minnesota was very similar to NY for most of my life with only allowing red/white/yellow on emergency vehicles. Snow plows had blue. Then in about 1996 the law chnaged to allow blue to the rear on the right side of the vehicle as you looked at it from the rear. This changed again several years later to allow blue anywhere in the rear of the vehicle. Then in 2003-2004 it changed to allow blue to the front and sides as well for all emergency vehicles. Slowly but surely depts have been switching. I think it looks great on all emergency vehicles. The only confusion I have seen ever is that my police dept runs booking vans, (paddy wagons) that look like ambulances. If you try and do a traffic stop with it some people will yield but not pull over thinking its an ambualnce behind them so I advoid doing traffic stops with them when I am assigned the wagon.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
C420sailor said:

I spend a lot of time on the 95/195 highways in MA and RI. RISP was an all red agency for long time, then I think about 10 years ago they added some blue to the front and rear on some Vista Strobe bars. When they switched to LED bars a few years go they went back to all red, then added two blue modules facing the rear. Last year the bars were all red again. When approaching an sort of incident with a trooper running an all red bar, it is impossible to tell where he is from a distance, which makes traffic more congested.

Having those two blue modules to the rear makes a huge difference in the sea of red brake lights.

The fact that many vehicles now have LED lights standard makes matters worse.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.