Fed Sig PA300 not working! Need help

Hello guys

i have recently bought a Federal Signal PA300 (MSC) and a Fed Sig MS1000. Both are very used.

The first time i tested it by connecting the wires to the speaker (see pictures) and to my battery ( red and black wires ). it worked just fine.

The next day i try to use a charger for the car battery as a power source (probably not a good decision), there was no sound coming out just the lamp was on.

Then i went to my car to connect it to the battery, now there is no sound and light at all.

I dont know if its either the charger, that damaged something or its something else wrong with it.

I dont really have knowledge about all these stuff thats why i try to get help here.

Thank you in advance.

OlivePizza

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Well at least we heard a chirp from the speaker.

No PA either?

bkn74

Sep 7, 2010
metropolis IL
Since the mic is cut make sure the wires are not touching. If they are it will cut siren off.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
If you say the pilot light doesn't come on and there's no sound, then I think you might have blown the fuse by connecting it to the battery charger. Replace the fuse and try the siren again.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
OlivePizza said:
thank you soo much, you were right. I would never have thought of that.

It's one of those things that people just don't consider. They assume that if the mic was cut, it's no longer an issue so they don't think about it.

The mic of my Pa300 got cut and i want to know how i could fix that. The best case would be if i could use a non orginal FS microphone for it. But my question is which mic do i need and how can i find out which cables i have to connect to the cables of the pa300.

IMG_0198.jpg

Here you see the four cables that went to the mic (black, blue, white, red).

IMG_0216.jpg

Thanks in advance

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
If you're not sure about which wires go where, be very careful. The easiest thing to do is to go to Federal's website. There you can access the manual to the PA300. There is more than series of PA300 sirens, so it would be helpful if you know which one yours is. The manual should provide a full wiring diagram. But if you're still not sure, they have an 800 number for help like that. Good luck and don't "fry" the poor thing!

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
I'd think that all FS mics will have the same wire configuration. I actually think I have a NOS mic with connectors on it for the PA300. I'll try to find it.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
chief1565 said:
I gave you the PDF info on the PA300 in your last thread.http://elightbars.org/forums/attachments/f18/41731d1349218014-manual-thread-installation-manuals-repair-manuals-etc-pa300.pdf

Here it is again you can find it ubder the sticky in Vintage and Collectables. Titled manuals.

Not only that but you have a pic of where the wires go already.

thank you

but i couldnt find a mic for this pa300 model so my question is if i could use another FS mic with an adapter, i would cut off, and which cables would come out of these mics?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Someone else mentioned it.

Most all FS mics are wired the same.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I couldn't listen to the video you had here at the library, but I'd guess that if you get some PA sound and some static, it's probably the output transistors. They can get blown very easily.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.