Fed Signal SSP3000 Series A amp not powering on when connected to 12v DC power.

ttvusmcxapple

Apr 12, 2022
PA, United States
Hello, I had recently gotten a Federal Signal Smart Siren 3000 Platinum from somebody on this forum. However, whenever I try to connect positive and negative power to it, nothing happens. Could somebody who may be well versed in these sirens help? or anybody able to assist with helping me figure out what I could do to fix it?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

ttvusmcxapple

Apr 12, 2022
PA, United States
UPDATE: I opened up the Amp to test if it was getting any power anywhere, now it's getting power, but I'm assuming that there would be a cable connecting the top half of it (where it has all of the fuses and power connectors) to the bottom half.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
UPDATE: I opened up the Amp to test if it was getting any power anywhere, now it's getting power, but I'm assuming that there would be a cable connecting the top half of it (where it has all of the fuses and power connectors) to the bottom half.
Cable or contacts... Can you post a pic of it opened, we can tell you if it is altered.

ttvusmcxapple

Apr 12, 2022
PA, United States
Cable or contacts... Can you post a pic of it opened, we can tell you if it is altered.
Sure, here's the pic I took yesterday, don't mind the red circles, I was talking to somebody I know who I thought would know a bit more than me. I didn't remove anything from it when I opened it up. This is exactly how it was when I opened it to test it.

Attachments

• 20221023_143023.jpg
    20221023_143023.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 12

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Sure, here's the pic I took yesterday, don't mind the red circles, I was talking to somebody I know who I thought would know a bit more than me. I didn't remove anything from it when I opened it up. This is exactly how it was when I opened it to test it.
I don't know if you removed them, but it appears to be missing fuses....

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I had taken two of them off to test them. They were off to the side of the photo I had taken.
Gotcha. As far as the pins, I feel like there is a connections cable between the boards. Anyone have a compete working model they want to post pics to compare?

ttvusmcxapple

Apr 12, 2022
PA, United States
Update: After speaking with Federal Signal, I found out that I need an 8-inch cat5 link cable to link the top half of the Amp to the bottom half. I haven't been able to find the exact one, however I'm going to try the Cat5e cable I have and see if that happens to work.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Update: After speaking with Federal Signal, I found out that I need an 8-inch cat5 link cable to link the top half of the Amp to the bottom half. I haven't been able to find the exact one, however I'm going to try the Cat5e cable I have and see if that happens to work.
The cat 5 cables federal used twisted from end to end in some applications; ie the start and end positions were reversed because "reasons"

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That's stupid. So basically what you're saying is I'd need to buy the proper cables for it? Where would I even get them? There aren't any for sale, even on third party sites.
I am not sure if they kept it up, but at one point the cables looked like cat but the order changed between the two ends. I assume that is just a way to sell you $50 cable or someone designed the two boards differently and cable order is cheaper than moving contacts on a board. I know someone had a cat crimper and made them at one point. If you know the order you can also cut the cable and splice the wires. I'm not 100% sure they still are this way, I just remember that a member here made the cables for a while.

ttvusmcxapple

Apr 12, 2022
PA, United States
I am not sure if they kept it up, but at one point the cables looked like cat but the order changed between the two ends. I assume that is just a way to sell you $50 cable or someone designed the two boards differently and cable order is cheaper than moving contacts on a board. I know someone had a cat crimper and made them at one point. If you know the order you can also cut the cable and splice the wires. I'm not 100% sure they still are this way, I just remember that a member here made the cables for a while.
Interesting. I'd be happy if that wasn't the case for my siren, because I'm trying not to spend $100 for two wires that could be made for a fraction of the price.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.