Federal 175 question

NESQ115

Jan 21, 2012
New York
Yes, the Strat-O-Ray version of the Beacon Ray typically was ordered with two red and two clear lamps, and the clear lamps would be the tilted ones. It allowed for the separate operation of the red lamps and the clear lamps, if desired.

Attachments

• Federal Signal Strat-o-Ray & Q ad, 1967.jpg
    Federal Signal Strat-o-Ray & Q ad, 1967.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1965 FEDERAL BEACON RAY LIGHTS Strat Supers SALES BROCHURE.jpg
    1965 FEDERAL BEACON RAY LIGHTS Strat Supers SALES BROCHURE.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: stansdds

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
What the others have said is corroborated when you find that the motor is powered by the same wire as the horizontal lamps.

@tsquale is correct. I also recall literature promoting the "eye-catching" effect of the tilted beams reflecting off of buildings or trees to alert drivers of the presence of an emergency vehicle--either stationary or responding. It was also a fav of many airport operations vehicles (at least in Louisville where I grew up)...approaching aircraft could see the tilted beams easier.

Reactions: tsquale

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
176 had that option also. You could shut down the white on the clear domed red and white beacon or shut down two of the bulbs under the solid red dome so your 176 becomes a model 17.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Thanks. I have finished my display and I used two switches so the whites could be on or off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.