Federal CJ284 connection question

seanernet

Feb 18, 2018
Florida,USA
Hello,

I'm helping a friend with his Federal CJ284 that came off of one of his original patrol cars when he started back in the day. Can anyone provide a manual or advise how these are connected. I noticed that the systems appeared to have ran on a positive ground system since all of the positive wires are shorted to the ground of the light. By disconnecting the light from the motor, I was able to power the lights alone and they are all in working order. I did not see any wires that were not showing continuity with one another on the whole light, except for two wires that appear to have gone to the siren box. The wires that I see are, one large gauge red wire, one large gauge black wire, and two brown wires that go to a small block that likely were connected to a siren. The red wire and the black wire are both connected to ground.I ordered a 12v 30a power supply to dedicate to this unit to operate in doors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

seanernet

Feb 18, 2018
Florida,USA
Red should go to pos., black to neg.
They should not connect to eachother. Use a continuity tester to see what's connected to what

Thank you for the reply. That's exactly what I had expected as well. I used a continuity tester, an ohm meter, and everything is connected together. Now I assume someone rewired something.

Can you tell me how to take the lights off of the top? I removed a clip on the bottom but it still is not releasing. Also I removed three small bolts.

Thanks again.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
You should be able to remove the bulbs from the lamp assembly, then loosen the nuts inside the lamp holders to make the lamp holders loosen up from each other. You will need to be careful of the drive belt but it should just then slide right up and off.

It's been more then a year or so since I have had to do this.. the rest should come apart using the methods you were already doing.

Reactions: dmathieu

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
After you remove the bulb holders, take off the belt, disconnect the wire at the copper plate. Then remove the three bolts holding the shroud to the base. Take pictures so you know how to put it back together again.

Inked20151102_145552 (Medium)_LI.jpg

seanernet

Feb 18, 2018
Florida,USA
Thank you all once again for your help. I didn't notice at first that what held the lights on the shaft were the 1/4 inch bolts. Once I got that done, it came right off. For some strange reason, the positive was connected to ground. As soon as I disconnected it from ground and isolated it, the light worked great. The original belt appears to be in good shape too. My friend is very happy that I was able to get this going for him.

Info for future searchers: I used this power supply from Amazon-SUPERNIGHT DC 12V 30A 360W Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply and a Christmas light remote to turn it on and off wirelessly. I had considered mounting a bluetooth speaker inside to play the siren wavs but decided to just use the computer.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I had considered mounting a bluetooth speaker inside to play the siren wavs but decided to just use the computer.
Whaaaaat? Bluetooth? Computer? WAVs? Get a vintage Federal Signal siren amp! You can use an inline resistor to limit the sound level for comfortable indoor use.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Get a vintage Federal Signal siren amp!

In my opinion the low-pitched PA15A series 1B/1C/1D and PA20A series 2B/2C/2D sirens sound best with the CJ 184 and 284 speaker lights.

Where I live the fire department had a Battalion chief station wagon and three pumper trucks equipped with those lights and sirens and they sounded great.:D

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.