Federal CT-1 lightbar

Aug 13, 2021
CT
Not much is out on it as much as it's cousin the CTS 1. It appears to have been on the available prior to the CTS 1 but never caught on. Is there any more information anyone has on it, like when did it hit the market, who used them, was it any good, and when was it discontinued?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The CT-1, known as the California Twin Beacon Ray, utilized a pair of what appeared to be a pair of 184 beacons on a Visibar. The 184 on the passenger side was a standard version Model 184, the one on the driver's side lacked a motor and instead had a forward facing, steady burn PAR-46 lamp and a rear facing PAR-46 connected to a flasher. The dome on the driver's side was a split color, with red to the front and amber to the rear. It was advertised in Bulletin 67, which had an effective date of March, 1970, printed May, 1975, so it was definitely available from 1970 through 1975. That's about all I can tell you.

Reactions: fp13-2

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Seeing as how so few exist today, I'd say production numbers were quite limited. It's much easier to find a CTS TwinSonic than it is to find a CT 1 bar.

Aug 13, 2021
CT
I believe this is the only example I can find.
74c4d1b48a29ade85b7b15a801a1d05b.jpg

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Bob Vestute has an original production model. Eric created his model as did I.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That set up has got pull some serious amperage. Would be cool to have in the collection.
Not really and certainly less than a CTS TwinSonic. The 184 beacon had four 30 watt bulbs or 37.5 watt bulbs with the quartz halogen bulb option, a CTS TwinSonic had four 60 watt bulbs.

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Oh I didn't know the came with 30 watters in it. I figured 60s. My uncle was PD and mentioned back in the day with a the multiple rotator bar going with sealed beam traffic wigwags in the back window, radio ect... Created a hell of a pull on the electrical.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Oh I didn't know the came with 30 watters in it. I figured 60s. My uncle was PD and mentioned back in the day with a the multiple rotator bar going with sealed beam traffic wigwags in the back window, radio ect... Created a hell of a pull on the electrical.
The only bars or beacons with factory installed 60 watt 4464 bulbs were the TwinSonic, the AeroTwinSonic, the Model 16 Visilite (single bulb) and 312 Titan (two bulbs) beacon. All the rest came with 30 watt bulbs, but around 1977-78 Federal offered the 37.5 watt quartz halogen 7600 bulb as an option in all of their beacons and light bars except for the 17/173-175 Beacon Ray. For some reason, probably the use of wires to power the bulbs instead of copper contacts, Federal did not ship the classic Beacon Ray with anything more than 30 watt bulbs.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Possibly the Model 171 beacon Ray had high powered bulbs, 1968 vintage?
The only ad I have seen for the 171 is dated 1958. I've not seen any Model 171's show up nor pictures of any, so either they sold in very low numbers or there was no interest whatsoever by potential purchasers and it was quickly dropped from the catalog. Without further evidence, determination of what bulbs were used in the 171 is pure speculation.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I may have mis coppied the date from the light/siren dated thread. I agree on rarely seen. I think I've seen one advertised at one point, ever
This and the thread on the 15S are great. This was the fun we had on this site years ago, LOL. Many heads investigating and usually coming to an answer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.