Federal EG siren question

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
Looking for info on it like what type of output it makes? Mind you I believe it to be all original other than I had it painted professionally. Also would you feel comfortable using it as a primary warning device yet today or would you use it as a secondary? Thanks in advance for any info and thoughts.

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
I would only be comfortable using an EG as a secondary warning device.

Federal's original advertising literature states,"Class E-W sirens do not have the sound output of the Class 60 or larger sirens, but are adequate all-purpose sirens where budget limitations will not permit the purchase of something more powerful."

Did you have it painted in the original hammertone grey?

John Dorgan

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
Thanks John, I was thinking would chime in soon today. I didn't think it was originally intended for primary use however I think its pretty loud. On the paint I had it painted a semi-black sheen so that it would blend in under the hood of my HHR I had, but should have it repainted for the shelf. Thanks again.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
It was in fact intended for primary use, but was a cheaper alternative to the 28/66 or bigger models. You still see used fire trucks from the 50's for sale that have one of these installed. The Federal catalog also called them "The lowest priced practical siren for regular busy emergency vehicles and a recommended minimum for all purposes."

That being said, if you really have your heart set on having a windup siren in your POV for duty use, find a model 28 on Ebay.

The ones that weren't really intended for primary use were the V series, for volunteers vehicles.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
I'm not the expert here but I'll make a start at it. By the way if you go to the "catalog" sticky above and click on Federal and start at the LAST page working backwards you'll find a bunch of old catalog pages for Federal mechanical sirens.

They basically made 5 series, based on the diameter of the rotor. The Q was biggest, then the C. Both of these were coaster models, all the others were non-coaster. The 60-70 series was next, these were described as heavy duty and included the 28. The E-W-X-Y series was next and the smallest was the V series for volunteers.

You could also equip all but the V series with a "Pulsator" attachment which had sort of a flapper valve to vary the sound, in an era before electronic sirens and yelp came on the market. I've only seen these in the 60-70 series in person, it would be cool to find a Q Pulsator and they did list the variation in their catalog. By the way NYPD used the 28 underhood for decades, until the chromed Pulsators appeared on the roof starting in 1964 although unmarked continued to use the 28. The FDNY used the 28 mounted on the bumper or cab roof for apparatus and cars until NYC started the switch to electronic sirens in the late 60's for noise abatement reasons.

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
Contrary to what NPS Ranger stated, the 70 series, or Doubletones (not Dualtones) were coasters as well as the C and Q. They were equipped with clutches and had optional brakes. They did not coast as long as the C or Q simply due to the fact that their rotors did not create as much flywheel effect. I just love the comment that FDNY moved away from electro-mechanical sirens for "noise abatement" reasons. Kind of makes me think of the guy that put his car up on blocks to save on tires.

I have beem contacted by quite a number of FDNY companies who want to replace their peanut whistles with real sirens, and are chipping in to foot the bill for a rebuilt C, Q or B&M .

John Dorgan

QUOTE=NPS Ranger;188041]I'm not the expert here but I'll make a start at it. By the way if you go to the "catalog" sticky above and click on Federal and start at the LAST page working backwards you'll find a bunch of old catalog pages for Federal mechanical sirens.

They basically made 5 series, based on the diameter of the rotor. The Q was biggest, then the C. Both of these were coaster models, all the others were non-coaster. The 60-70 series was next, these were described as heavy duty and included the 28. The E-W-X-Y series was next and the smallest was the V series for volunteers.

You could also equip all but the V series with a "Pulsator" attachment which had sort of a flapper valve to vary the sound, in an era before electronic sirens and yelp came on the market. I've only seen these in the 60-70 series in person, it would be cool to find a Q Pulsator and they did list the variation in their catalog. By the way NYPD used the 28 underhood for decades, until the chromed Pulsators appeared on the roof starting in 1964 although unmarked continued to use the 28. The FDNY used the 28 mounted on the bumper or cab roof for apparatus and cars until NYC started the switch to electronic sirens in the late 60's for noise abatement reasons.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Sirenman said:
Contrary to what NPS Ranger stated, the 70 series, or Doubletones (not Dualtones) were coasters as well as the C and Q. They were equipped with clutches and had optional brakes. They did not coast as long as the C or Q simply due to the fact that their rotors did not create as much flywheel effect. I just love the comment that FDNY moved away from electro-mechanical sirens for "noise abatement" reasons. Kind of makes me think of the guy that put his car up on blocks to save on tires.
I have beem contacted by quite a number of FDNY companies who want to replace their peanut whistles with real sirens, and are chipping in to foot the bill for a rebuilt C, Q or B&M .

John Dorgan

I'm pretty sure that the Q is too loud for NYC sound regulations.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
In the late 1960's the RAND Corporation was commissioned by NYC to do a study on improving city services and increasing "quality of life." The study exists, I saw it in the 1970's. One of their recommendations was to do away with mechanical sirens which were deafening for pedestrians on the sidewalk right next to stopped traffic, and echoed for blocks and blocks in between the skyscrapers. By 1970 all NYPD, FDNY & NYC-EMS vehicles were being purchased with electronic sirens. It became a game for FDNY companies to mount bootleg mechanical sirens on their rigs, and remove them before the rig went into the Shops for service. Since 9/11, it seems that the department has lightened up considerably on what's allowed for customization on the rigs, such as mechanical sirens, extra horns, etc. Some people on here from FDNY can probably comment further.

I stand corrected on the 70 series. Because the most common Pulsators were the 660 and 770 I guess I assumed they used the same diameter rotor, I never saw one next to the other for comparison.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.