Federal Electric 78B in original crate

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@EJK9
This is the same manufacturer as the contemporary Federal Signal.

The company has had four names over the years.

They was founded in 1901 as Federal Electric and changed to Federal Enterprises in 1948, to Federal Sign And Signal in 1955 and finally, so far, to Federal Signal in 1975.

This should mean that your siren was made sometime before or around 1948 but not after.

Michael

EJK9

Aug 19, 2020
Harrisburg PA
Thank you very much.
mine has a piece that comes off the top which holds the manufacture tag on it. Does this further define the parameters of the light.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Would you be so kind as to post pics of your siren? They are worth a thousand words generally. :D

Reactions: Dave F

EJK9

Aug 19, 2020
Harrisburg PA
Thank you all for your comments and literature. This gives me a great base to start my history lesson.

@lotsofbars
As for powering it up, that's on the agenda i just want to be careful not to jump at it and make a mistake. Any correct procedures and equipment are appreciated.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
As for powering it up, that's on the agenda i just want to be careful not to jump at it and make a mistake. Any correct procedures and equipment are appreciated.

Your best bet would be to buy a 6 volt battery automotive battery, make sure it is fully charged. Then the lead on it goes to Pos (+) and then run a heavy gauge wire to the base/foot of the siren for ground. These draw a TON of amps and the force of the spinning siren motor/rotor WILL tip it over if you aren't careful. It is best to have it secured to the workbench to prevent that. I would hate to see it tip and fall off or get damaged.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.