Federal FIRE BALL Family History

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Glad you got it, I'm curious as to why someone would do this, but I wasn't curious enough to buy it,since it isn't a factory alteration.

Please let us know what it does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I was just scrolling through this thread and realized that there was a comment I meant to make before and didn't.

Seeing the Fireball on the side of the panel truck reminded me of a couple of things I saw when I lived in Lubbock.  First was a nice 1962 Chevy station wagon ambulance that was operated by a funeral home in the small town of Hale Center, TX, about 35 mi. north of Lubbock.  The car had a red 174 "wig-wag" beacon in the front center flanked by a pair of red Fireballs on the front corners.  The siren, a Federal doubletone, was mounted underhood.   This was also one fast-running Chevy wagon.  One night in 1973 a tornado hit near Plainview causing a number of injuries and a single fatality.  The Hale Center ambulance responded and transported to Lubbock.  A friend of mine who was a truck driver and a member of our REACT team was headed back to Lubbock and had stepped up his speed considerably when he found out what had happened, assuming that our REACT team would mobilize.  He said that he was running a bit more than 70 mph when suddenly the Hale Center ambulance went past him like he was sitting still.

Another interesting ambulance whose history I know nothing about I saw in Plainview, TX in the late '70s.  It was a long-wheel-based 1961 Pontiac ambulance.  It had a roof-mounted Q flanked by two red Fireballs and a red Dietz 211 beacon behind the Q.  Very nice old car at the time.  It was sitting on a car lot, which is why I had no history on the car.  The guy wanted $750 for the car, which was reasonable at the time, and we could've used it in our standby service.  But by the time I had gotten the money together a couple of days later and made the trip back to Plainview, it was gone!   C'est la vie!

nick7542

May 24, 2010
Carlise PA ,USA
Hi Guys:   Picked up this Federal Signal FBFH Flashball off of e-bay the other day for $29.00 dollars.( It was a buy it now auction)   After clean up, not a bad light. I think i did ok with this one.   And a thanks to Dan for all that flashball info about this light.

0627141002a.jpg

0627141002.jpg

0627140932b.jpg

0627140932a.jpg

0627140932.jpg

0627140931a.jpg

0627141000b.jpg

0627140930.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
$29.00?!!!!!!  What??????????????

$29 for a halogen Flashball?  Unless one comes up for free, I'll nominate this as the deal of the century!

Reactions: Skip Goulet

mkent

Mar 11, 2012
united kingdom
Glad you got it, I'm curious as to why someone would do this, but I wasn't curious enough to buy it,since it isn't a factory alteration.

Please let us know what it does.
Hey,the federal signal fb1 supposed oscillating fireball...

Well,today I was sent this by the guy I have bought it from,although it's still in transit,he sent me a YouTube video of the light I have bought.

Type in ' oscillating fireball ' on YouTube.. Watch the fb1 fireball OSCILLATING..!!!!!!....

What do you think?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Very interesting!

I wish Federal had thought of that before the MagnaBeam.

NICE grab!

When you get it post it in the following thread!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Interesting.

I had never before noticed the oscillating teardrop light in that scene.

mkent

Mar 11, 2012
united kingdom
Looking forward to receiving it and seeing just what this added electronics does in the FB1.

If it does oscillate,it must be a very rare example. The movie clip certainly shows a fireball or maybe a yankee teardrop oscillating and back when the film was made in the 80s the only oscillating unit was the Code 3 force 4 stingray electronics unit.

Anyway,we will see.

Reactions: dmathieu

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA

Found that this FB-1 has a S/N of  2AAI012, and is definitely an older version, based on the screws mounting the guts to the base, hence the Chicago factory marking on the label. 1956-1957?

I have it completely disassembled, and still have not seen anything different that would give a clue on the odd serial number.

This is the second FB-1 that I have with a different number. That Number is 2A12F2 made in the Blue Island plant.

The standard FB-1 Serial Number is 2A12

Pics to follow when clean up is done.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Interesting.  I'm still leaning towards my theory that this one was actually assembled in Blue Island, but used a Chicago marked band.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
This is the first Chicago Fire Ball band that I've seen.

I'm thinking that those made in Chicago may have had individual manufacturing lot numbers.

After the move to Blue Island, they all had the same Serial Number, except for special customer requests.

Just a theory.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
This is the first Chicago Fire Ball band that I've seen.

I'm thinking that those made in Chicago may have had individual manufacturing lot numbers.

After the move to Blue Island, they all had the same Serial Number, except for special customer requests.

Just a theory.
And your theory is just as good as mine.  I doubt we will ever know the truth.

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
I just got this Chicago Fireball in the mail yesterday. I was surprised that there's no sticker and the label is printed directly onto the metal band. Anyone care to approximate the value of this item???

chicagofireball.JPG

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Yes, they also printed at Blue Island, including all of my black labeled rebadged Fire Balls, (Sirac, Paris version 2, and J.W.Speaker Version 1).

There are even some of my newer second version Fire Balls with printed on labels. 

It looks like they had and retained 2 label systems through Fire Ball teardrop production.

The easiest way to tell printed from sticker labels, especially in pictures, (can't feel the label edges), is the squared off corner labels are printed on the band, and the rounded corner labels are stickers.

I also have one printed labeled second version Fire Ball from each of the following Federal locations:

Park Forest South, IL   and

University Park, IL

Add these addresses to:

Chicago, IL   and 

Blue Island, IL

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
Encyclopedia Of Chicago says Park Forest South was a new community development that began construction in 1961. In 1967 PFS was officially incorporated. In 1969, Governors State University was opened there. I'm guessing that's about the time PFS changed its name to Univ. Pk.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
University Park is their current location. They moved there after Blue Island.   First time I've ever seen Park Forest South mentioned.

They moved from Blue Island to U.P. around '77 or '78, about the time they discontinued so many of their motor-driven sirens, leaving only the Q and some of the smaller ones that they were still selling for export.

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
Yes, they also printed at Blue Island, including all of my black labeled rebadged Fire Balls, (Sirac, Paris version 2, and J.W.Speaker Version 1).

There are even some of my newer second version Fire Balls with printed on labels. 

It looks like they had and retained 2 label systems through Fire Ball teardrop production.

The easiest way to tell printed from sticker labels, especially in pictures, (can't feel the label edges), is the squared off corner labels are printed on the band, and the rounded corner labels are stickers.

I also have one printed labeled second version Fire Ball from each of the following Federal locations:

Park Forest South, IL   and

University Park, IL

Add these addresses to:

Chicago, IL   and 

Blue Island, IL
Let's see a picture of that Park Forest South Fireball. :yes:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Encyclopedia Of Chicago says Park Forest South was a new community development that began construction in 1961. In 1967 PFS was officially incorporated. In 1969, Governors State University was opened there. I'm guessing that's about the time PFS changed its name to Univ. Pk.
Federal information:

Name changes:

Federal Electric Company, Inc. -1948

Federal Enterprises, Inc. 1948-1955

Federal Signal Sign & Signal Corp. 1956-1975

Federal Signal Corp. 1976-present

Location changes:

Federal Signal moved from Chicago to Blue Island in 1958, then moved to University Park late in 1978.

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
Picked up a new addition for my Fireball collection. F7 dome is a little rough. It could use a wet sanding.  A clear dome model FB13W Series A2 seems like a good find for under $100. Now I have a Fireball rainbow! I knew someone here would enlighten me as to what FB13W was.

clear f7.JPG

clear fireball.JPG

clearfireball2.JPG

rainbow fireballs.PNG

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
So two examples of the FB13W have been posted, both with clear domes.  Does the "W" indicated clear dome and if so, does that mean there were FB13R, FB13B, FB13A, and FB13G models?  The FB13 does not appear in my 1985-86 Federal Signal Service Parts Index, so it is either a super rare version or produced in the 1986-1991 time frame.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I've some some Federal Signal products rebadged for Signal-Stat on eBay, usually at scalper's prices.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.