Federal FIRE BALL Family History

Raynie

Nov 23, 2014
France / Bergerac
Federal Signal's 2nd Version Flash Ball was still a non rotating light like the Version 1, with some design changes.
It had the larger magnet, was available in halogen or incandescent bulb, and had a new reflector and socket design.
The reflector was still stationary. The bulb was flashed by a flasher for a directional warning.
These Flash Balls are even more rare than the Version 1 Flash Balls.
Dmathieu, are you sure that there are FB-FH with halogen bulb ?

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Ref. lighter plugs - Radio Shack use to sell the center black plug with 10 ft of lamp cord that I use to buy to replace bad lighter plugs on lights. It was cheap. Wish they still sold them

Reactions: Raynie

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The earliest date that I have is a sales bulletin #353E which includes the Flash Ball Model FBF, dated April, 1960.
For the newer version, I have no information, but could go into the early 1990s.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Red plugs from fed Signal give me the buying confidence the Fireball/Flashball is original and collectable. Otherwise I get nervous you are dealing with knock off!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The Flashball was removed from production before the Fireball FB11/12 production ended. The Flashball was not in the 1989 Federal catalog.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6305148.JPG S6305117.JPG This light has a very different shaped anti vibration plate to allow room for the phono plug socket,
AND.... the part number looks to be EB 4, not FB 4!!!!!!!
I've never seen this before!
Another nice piece for my Fire Ball sub-collection!S6305113.JPG S6305114.JPG S6305115.JPG S6305116.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Raynie

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Just found a FB-2 Fire Ball with interesting electronics inside. The electronics are between the motor leads and pos. and neg input. Not sure what it does. Any ideas?
I will post more pics after receiving the light.s-l1600 (62).jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Found this picture of the other Fire Ball that I've seen with these added electronics.
Can ANYBODY shed light on what these might do to the light?
The added electronics must do something to the motor function, as they are located in line between the power inlet, and the wires supplying power to the motor.
82905_0ac48111dbc686bcab29f43cf9459cab.JPG

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
I have seen this before and I believe it was to prevent electrical noise of the motor running back into the vehicles' electrical system, suppression or isolation to prevent noise in the old two way radios. Possibly an old military spec if I recall..

Chris

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.