Federal Model 78

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
When I received this unit it was missing a few pieces, needed to be reassembled, and needed some adjustment. It's not perfect - the clutch still doesn't always disengage on short burts (likely due to bearing indentations on the ramp from previously being over-tightened) - but it's far enough along to share a video.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Very, Very Nice.

I wonder if the people who designed and marketed this were thinking of it as a piece of innovative and creative thought and design. Or did they simply look at it in the same manner that we, today, look at a 100 watt speaker, electronic siren amp, and a couple of LED lightheads?

Maybe i think too much......

Bob

Reactions: gtpts27

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Very, Very Nice.

I wonder if the people who designed and marketed this were thinking of it as a piece of innovative and creative thought and design. Or did they simply look at it in the same manner that we, today, look at a 100 watt speaker, electronic siren amp, and a couple of LED lightheads?

Maybe i think too much......

Bob

Good question. I know I see it as the former. Will be interesting to see how todays lights are viewed in 50-75 years.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Great light!! I picked one up a few years back and John Dorgan restored it for me. It was to be a 'legacy' piece to be mounted on our squad truck, and passed down to the next one. Department went up and sold the squad, about the time we were going to swap out the Q. I ended up selling it off, at least I didn't lose money on the deal.

Reactions: gtpts27
Great light/siren! I prefer the PropelloRay to the SolaRay any day. Just curious, does the label indicate the rear light (78BR)? Regardless, a great find and excellent addition to your collection.

Back in the 40s/50s when these were first used, it didn't take much to get motorists attention, and these were like all-inclusive lightbars of the 70s. The dual tone (frequencies) of the siren was meant to be heard by even the most hard of hearing. So I would say, yes, Federal was thinking of design and innovation. In 50 years, we won't be driving anyway and self driving vehicles will automatically yield to emergency vehicles!

Here's mine (also restored by Sirenman) displayed in the garage where I can wind it all the way up (with ear protection of course)!
IMG_0012.JPGIMG_0188.JPG

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Great light/siren! I prefer the PropelloRay to the SolaRay any day. Just curious, does the label indicate the rear light (78BR)? Regardless, a great find and excellent addition to your collection.

Back in the 40s/50s when these were first used, it didn't take much to get motorists attention, and these were like all-inclusive lightbars of the 70s. The dual tone (frequencies) of the siren was meant to be heard by even the most hard of hearing. So I would say, yes, Federal was thinking of design and innovation. In 50 years, we won't be driving anyway and self driving vehicles will automatically yield to emergency vehicles!

Here's mine (also restored by Sirenman) displayed in the garage where I can wind it all the way up (with ear protection of course)!
View attachment 218050View attachment 218051
Beaut!

Rear light option isn't labeled on badge but I'm fairly certain it's a reproduction badge. Badge just has straight 78 on it. Unit doesn't have a brake, so is an 'A' model. Not sure if 'A' was typically left off badges (and just 'B' added when applicable) or if lack of 'A' on badge is more proof badge is a repro that wasn't fully stamped.

And yeah after I wrote about 50 years in future it did come to mind that emergency lights may very likely be obsolete/unnecessary w self-driving cars. Of course that won't change that today's lights will viewed as vintage then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.