Federal Signal 143

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
Did the 143 and 144 use Beaconray lamp holders?

No. the bulbs attach the same way with what appears to be using the same upper and lower bulb holders plates, however the complete lamp holder assemblies are different and not interchangeable with the Beacon Ray models.

both the 143 and the 144 use the type of bottom motor/gear and contact plate assemblies as used in the model 11. the 143 lamp holder assembly is similar to the one used in the 3 bulb Beacon Ray 173, but is different in that the metal shaft in the middle that extends down from the top of the lamp holder assembly through the gear to the bottom of the motor bracket is solid where as the one in the 173 and other Beacon Ray models is hollow to allow for the contact rod to extend from the top down to the bottom, where it connects with the brush ring. there also appears to be differences as to retaining ring grove placements on the shafts in the gear assembly areas of the 143 and Beacon Ray 173.

the lamp holder assembly for the 144 is completely different from the 143 and those in the four bulb Beacon Ray 174 and 176 models in that it consists of just the top and bottom lamp holder plates and the middle metal shaft, which does not extend down into the motor/gear assemby area. the shaft is closed at the top of the lamp holder assembly, however it is hollow and slips over the shaft that extends up from the motor/gear assembly (where the rotator assembly normally secures to with the model 11) and is secured in place with a set screw.

the contact brush assemblies on both the 143 and 144 lamp holder assemblies attach to the top side of the bottom lamp holder plates and the contact brushes extend down through openings in the bottom lamp holder plates to connect with the power contact plate.

i disassembled the 143 and one of my 144s and had the lamp holder assemblies refinished/plated. i only wish i would have taken some pictures of them while i had them disassembled to show the differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: stansdds

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
No. the bulbs attach the same way with what appears to be using the same upper and lower bulb holders plates, however the complete lamp holder assemblies are different and not interchangeable with the Beacon Ray models.

both the 143 and the 144 use the type of bottom motor/gear and contact plate assemblies as used in the model 11. the 143 lamp holder assembly is similar to the one used in the 3 bulb Beacon Ray 173, but is different in that the metal shaft in the middle that extends down from the top of the lamp holder assembly through the gear to the bottom of the motor bracket is solid where as the one in the 173 and other Beacon Ray models is hollow to allow for the contact rod to extend from the top down to the bottom, where it connects with the brush ring. there also appears to be differences as to retaining ring grove placements on the shafts in the gear assembly areas of the 143 and Beacon Ray 173.

the lamp holder assembly for the 144 is completely different from the 143 and those in the four bulb Beacon Ray 174 and 176 models in that it consists of just the top and bottom lamp holder plates and the middle metal shaft, which does not extend down into the motor/gear assemby area. the shaft is closed at the top of the lamp holder assembly, however it is hollow and slips over the shaft that extends up from the motor/gear assembly (where the rotator assembly normally secures to with the model 11) and is secured in place with a set screw.

the contact brush assemblies on both the 143 and 144 lamp holder assemblies attach to the top side of the bottom lamp holder plates and the contact brushes extend down through openings in the bottom lamp holder plates to connect with the power contact plate.

i disassembled the 143 and one of my 144s and had the lamp holder assemblies refinished/plated. i only wish i would have taken some pictures of them while i had them disassembled to show the differences.
Outstanding rundown of the differences between the Beacon Ray and the Models 143 and 144! Perhaps this should be made a sticky?

Reactions: ex416 and Maxim2Eng
However! A 174/176 lamp assembly can be modified to fit into a mod 11/14 assembly. Here are some pics of my one-off “144-O“ (O for oscillating): I used the lamp cage gears and oscillator assembly o a 174 and it dropped into place. I used a 1/4” bolt (tapped in the head) for the gear shaft (screwed into an existing hole in the 14 motor bracket frame but I didn’t have the equipment to machine snap ring groves for the shaft, so I used clear plastic tubing to create the proper alignment. Didn’t need a snap ring on the gear shaft as the oscillating arm keeps it in place. Works like a charm.

9C087BA3-F26F-4193-BC80-C23F14C6E45B.jpeg A13463EB-E629-4423-9505-CA2A159F78DC.jpeg
Even the cam set screw lines up with the the stamped hole in the original 11/14 motor bracket frame...like FedSig was thinking of just such a model...hmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: stansdds

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.