Federal Signal Aerodynic Flasher problem

bkulibert

Jun 26, 2016
Mayville, WI
I have a problem with my Federal Signal 24MEAH lightbar. When both front & rear flashers are active they don't work right. Here is a link to the video:

Why are they doing this and how can I fix the problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
One question that came up is what flasher you use?
Thermo mechanical or electronic?

If it is an electronic flasher and you are using an electronic power supply it is very common that electronics do not go well with that type of power supplies.

It has to do with the square wave they produce internally.

In many cheaper electronic power supplies, the alternating current is becoming an interupted direct current instead of that a more expensive one will make an uninterupted direct current like the one you get from the battery.

If you use a car battery my guess is that you need to try the flasher out of the bar to see if it is working with other lamps.

Look also after short circuits in the bar’s wiring.

Michael

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I think that cmb56 is probably on the right path. Also could be just a bad flasher... thermo flashers do some weird things when they are in the process of failing.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Is this a grounded FA-3 or just a 3 wire? Could be a ground issue.
all of this is speculation without actually being there.
Try another flasher first.

bkulibert

Jun 26, 2016
Mayville, WI
I figured it out. I tried a regular Wagner flasher and it worked fine. I then reconnected the FA-3 flasher and this time connected it to a car battery and they work like they should. It was the battery charger that wasn't making them work right. Thanks

Reactions: Stampeed Valkyrie
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I figured it out. I tried a regular Wagner flasher and it worked fine. I then reconnected the FA-3 flasher and this time connected it to a car battery and they work like they should. It was the battery charger that wasn't making them work right. Thanks

Good to hear.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
O yes the ol' dirty power.. most flashers and strobe power supplies don't like the dirty power from Batt chargers or jump packs. I can only imagine how many got tossed for not acting right when it was the installer supplying the problem. A good AC/DC converter/ power supply will always be your best bet for non vehicle displays. Mine is a westinghouse build date 7/79 turning the dial past 5 and it goes to 12, will cause 4 quartz par 36 to turn a very pretty blue just as they fail. Don't ask how I know this..

Last edited:
Reactions: FCV96

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.