Federal Signal AeroDynic Mounting Bolts

ledzilla

Feb 3, 2023
Illinois
I picked up a Federal Signal AeroDynic 25RWLI Wrecker Special light bar some time ago. I've been slowly working on it, trying to get it into proper working condition again (works pretty well for the most part, but really needs some TLC). The light bar was pulled off of a truck, and they cut the mounting bolts in the process. I tried checking for replacement bolts, but I'm having trouble. They look like elevator bolts with the following characteristics:

Head diameter: 13/16" (0.81")
Square neck width: 24/64" (0.39")
Bolt threads: 3/8-16

The mounting slot in the light bar frame looks like it has a max bolt head diameter of 15/16" (0.94"). The problem I'm having is finding a bolt with a small enough head diameter. I'm thinking that I might just need to get a few bolts with too large of a head and then "resize" them a bit on my bench grinder. If I do it right, should slide right in without trouble and be better at no spinning than the normally would.

Are there possibly brand new bolts out there I can get? Or am I just better off trimming down some bolts I can get at McMaster-Carr?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
How about carriage bolts? As compared to an elevator bolt. the head of a carriage bolt will be much smaller in diameter, but also taller in height.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Most of the slots for those frames are sized for carriage bolts as shues said. That's what was used on my 72inch 'dynic

ledzilla

Feb 3, 2023
Illinois
Sorry for the late reply, things got really busy for a bit.

I did try carriage bolts, as I have a supply on hand that would be the right size and thread for the task. However, the bolt slot on the frame isn't tall enough to accept the head of a carriage bolt. I added a photo of the bolt remnant. It's almost a snug fit in the frame, which I'm sure the rust adds to. The bolt slot is barely taller than the head of this bolt.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I can just grind down the head of a carriage bolt so it's not as tall?

Attachments

• 20230328_121517.jpg
    20230328_121517.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 5

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.